ATX Community

Paying IL

Lion EA

I live in CT but have part of an IL farm, acreage my grandfather bought in the 1880s or so. I've always had to mail a check into IL to pay my state taxes, because I file a NR return. Today we realized we hadn't paid the second property tax payment to Montgomery County, called them, and were shown a user-friendly website managed by Heartland. Our property tax bills were easy to find and to pay online. Is it possible IL is using a similar site by Heartland (or anyone else) to collect state income taxes from distant people like me who file NR returns?

I went to MyTax.Illinois.gov and see that I can make payments for IL-1040, but as I've said, in the past I've been kicked out of online payment for the Schedule NR or whatever reason they gave, maybe the non-IL address triggered my expulsion. The same for direct debit with e-file. And, I'm not ready to actually file my return yet/don't know my balance due. Just hoping someone from an IL border state knows about their clients paying online, or not being able to pay online. Or, via direct debit or...

Some years back I paid a generous amount in IL ES so I'd have a refund to apply to the next year. I've continued to pay ES when I'm not so rushed, so I have a refund to apply each year. Just want to get away from IL having my money in advance -- if I can direct debit or pay online.

IDOR will allow you set up an account for a business or personal, can you make various payments online, I use if for most of my business clients.  It's very simple to register and it's free, the only issue I see, if you schedule a payment for a certain day, it takes up 2-5 days for them to withdrawal the amount, but they still give you credit for the scheduled day.  

Thank you. The property tax site worked great, but the MyIllinois.Tax.gov is a different animal. I will give it a try when I finally prepare our taxes. Although, if IL is accepting e-payments from NRs, then I'm also hopeful my software will facilitate a direct debit. I'll use MyIL for the ES payment I usually make in December, though. I did look-up the ILPINs for me and for hubby who's primary on our returns.