ATX Community

Advance child tax credit

JimTaxes

will the IRS be sending out letters on the amount received?  if so will there be a notice number on them?  I am starting to think about the letters i send to my clients with a reminder of what I need them to bring in.  I was going to include the EIP3 letter, whatever that is called and the advance child tax credit letter.. Is my logic correct on this?

The EIP1 and EIP2 letters were sporadic at best. But, the IRS has said they'll send a letter. CNBC described it as...

Finally, the IRS will send Letter 6419 in January 2022 detailing the total amount of advance CTC payments that were sent to each household during 2021. It's encouraging recipients to hold on to that letter in case they need it when they file their 2021 taxes next year. Jul 16, 2021

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Sara EA said:

Prior to EIP3, you could go to irs.gov and look up your EIPs.  Years back you could also look up special credits with an IRS tool.  Wishful thinking here, but it would be great if IRS would make both payment amounts available online.

The difference is that before you could look up such information with only a minimal amount of identifying information. Now, you can still look it up but you have to do it through your IRS account and it requires a lot of shared information to be able to establish your identity OR you have to wait for something to be mailed to you to establish your access.  So that makes it less accessible and useful to us, but more secure for the taxpayer.  Life is just full of these little trade-offs. 

• Like 2