ATX Community

Printers

grandmabee

My printer went out so using my backup. I will be looking for new one soon, after 15th.  I prefer a black and white stand alone.   Don't need the all in one.  Any suggestions on what you have had good results with?  I have been using  brothers but had HP in the past.  Open to all brands.

Get laser and make sure it has generic refilled cartridges online to buy. IMO Brother is an excellent brand and can be had very cheaply. They are all very similar. If you want to go ultra fast, you'll pay for that and HP is probably the way to go.

I just purchased a mobile printer / scanner for a few clients I service on-site.

• Like 1

I have great HP laser printers. All are still in service. I've bought a new one from time to time when the speed increases, and use the older one for back-up or give to hubby for his biz or to the kids for their inn/restaurant/bakery/food truck businesses.

The only HP I ever tossed out was because an off-brand toner from Staples exploded inside. I never was going to get all the cyan out from all the nooks and crannies. I always was going to risk random blue smudges on random pages at random times.

My IT guy loves the current pricier HP laser printers and loves the older HPs, but says the less expensive models have gotten more cheaply made, lately. So, this year when I wanted to buy a faster model, he suggested Brother. I've had Brother in the past, but they never lasted long. He assures me they're better built now, sturdier.

My current, newish (this tax season) Brother is HL-L2370DW series.

And, my current HP (used for years and years) is LaserJet P2055dn. Both are black & white, stand-alone, small footprint, quiet, and fast.

Word of caution on at least some newer HP laser printers....I have an HP LaserJet MFP425 that is an absolute workhorse and I dearly love it.  I can get generic toner online from Amazon very cheap (4 high yield cartridges for around $50).   I needed a new printer for another computer in my office so I decided to move the current printer to that computer and upgrade to what I believed to be a newer model of the same printer - it's a MFP428.  Mistake!  I love the printer and it works great but the toner cartridges have a proprietary chip which so far I have had very little success in bypassing.  I've had to buy OEM cartridges for it and the high yield cartridge is about $200!  Needless to say, it's been moved to a location that sees very little use.  I was able to purchase a lightly used Lexmark xm3150 which is a commercial all in one for little of nothing from a local business machines supplier and so far it's working out great.

Back when HP earned it's reputation as a reliable workhouse, the internal components were made by Canon,

HP stopped using Canon  components some years ago, so HP is not quite as good anymore.

Some of the higher volume generic toner suppliers are able to bypass the proprietary chip.

I buy from supplies outlet.com. ( See my post in the Off Topic category)

I currently have both an HP and a Canon and while my HP works fine the Canon is clearly a higher quality well built printer.

6 hours ago, Patrick Michael said:

I have an Epson EcoTank E-4750 and love it.  I printed about 300 returns last year and ink cost me about $20.  Very easy to refill the tank and ne mess.  I have had it 3 years ago and not one problem.

I would never use an inkjet printer, even at home. Strictly lasers for me. Inkjets smear if they get wet, and they're way too slow for a busy office.

• Like 3

They smear if you touch them too soon. They smear if you use a highlighter. Even on things I print for my records, such as a client email with some tax info, I like to highlight the tax info buried in a rambling email. Smear. If I look at it days later, can't read the smeary numbers. Want to highlight something FOR a client; don't even think about it.

I do have an inkjet all-in-one for my personal use, but won't use it for any biz printing at all. Even then, won't print out church bulletin when I'm a liturgical assistant, because I like to highlight what I lead.

• Like 3

On 10/9/2021 at 7:44 AM, Patrick Michael said:

I have an Epson EcoTank E-4750 and love it.  I printed about 300 returns last year and ink cost me about $20.  Very easy to refill the tank and ne mess.  I have had it 3 years ago and not one problem.

You can refill laser printer cartridges also. That's what everyone buys when they buy refurbished - $13 per cartridge for me because I don't want the mess. Your printer does 15ppm, my cheap laser does 30ppm. For client presentations, laser will look far more crisp than inkjet and if they set a soda on the page, it's all a big fuzzy mess that can't be read.

• Like 2