ATX Community

Another Onery client/broker

Lion EA

Anyone have a link to a readable IRS Pub, Notice, something readable, that says the SEP contribution deadline for a SE person is extended if the Sch C/1040 was extended?

Have a long-time client talking to a new employee at his long-time brokerage telling him that it's too late for a 2020 contribution. He makes monthly contributions but maxes out his SEP every year after we complete his returns. We wasted all today talking to her.

Perfect. I thought I skimmed that, but not thoroughly enough. Thanx!

Oh, wait a minute. He set up his SEP years ago, so "set up" is not the issue.

What's the deadline for contributing to his already-existing SEP? Broker claims 15 April/17 May. I'm saying 15 October, but can't find anything that says contributions can be made through 15 October for extended returns.

My Quickfinder handbook says that the date to establish plan and make contributions is the return due date, including extensions, for the year the plan is to be effective.  I read that as making contributions even after the plan is established is good to the extended due date.  Scroll down on this link https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/retirement-plans-faqs-regarding-seps#contributions to   When must I deposit....  it says including extensions.

• Like 2