ATX Community

New Computer

Dave T

Old computer has been giving some problems so before it becomes a bigger issue during tax season I went out and bought a new one.

My question is, what is the best way to transfer program and data files from the old to the new? The last time I had to do this, my tech guy did it for me but unfortunately he has retired so I am looking for someone new but would also like to know how to do this.

Thanks for any assistance.

Dave T

I had to hire someone, so I went to "Nextdoor" to find suggestions of PROFESSIONALS. Then, I googled and read the heck out of the reviews. I landed on a great company. It wasn't exactly cheap, but you get what you pay for, and security is always at the top of my priority list. 

Nothing much that's more comforting during tax season that knowing you have reliable IT support. Especially when you're a "Lone Ranger" in the office. 

• Like 2

For about 15 years, I have had my computers built by the local Geek (he has a program on radio Geek Talk).  He doesn't put crap in and can fix any thing because he built it.  And now, of course, he can remote in should I have issues although each fall/winter I do take it in for a spa treatment, just in case.  At the very least, having a trusted professional  to call on even having an off the shelf computer is crucial.  Good to know how to 'do it yourself,' no question but maybe also have that expert available.

• Like 2

I keep my client files in pdf format on a second hard drive and back up on a external hard drive.  So I can just copy them over myself to my second hard drive on my new computer.  As for my programs (ATX), I install them on my first hard drive (SSD), drive C.  I install the prior year ATX program to my new computer.  There is a way to transfer the data files.  I forgot but ATX support can walk you thru or they have it on their support articles.  I can then install the current year ATX and use the rollover feature from the previous year program.  I keep my old computer (which is only about 3 years old) for prior years ATX.  But then I don't take on new clients who are behind in tax returns so usually I don't have to worry about prior year returns.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ILLMAS said:

Does is it at least have Windows 11?

ATX sent an email recently saying they are not ready for Windows 11 and recommend we do not update to 11 at this time.  My current computer is new in January.  It says my computer is ready for Windows 11 but I'm not going to update until ATX says it ok to do so.

• Like 2

I just made a list of all the programs I have on this computer that I'd need to download. 23 programs.

The biggest thing was that I printed off the server instructions for my email. Every time I have to install that - it takes me a few hours to figure it all out. Why did I never print it out before?

• Like 3

Copy your data first. Don't use ATX backups or exports. Copy the ENTIRE DATABASE FOLDERS. Then when you install ATX, it will see the database and not try to create a new database. This will work flawlessly most of the time. If not ATX has database repair batch files you can download and run.

If you search this forum, you'll see my post from January of 20(?) where we moved all years of ATX to a new Win10 computer, and I provided step by step instructions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

If you search this forum, you'll see my post from January of 20(?) where we moved all years of ATX to a new Win10 computer, and I provided step by step instructions.

I did the search and found it for the OP and anyone else that may be interested:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2