ATX Community

considering a laptop

schirallicpa

A surface pro.  Add a desktop monitor, add bluetooth mouse and keyboard for stationary use.  Easy to use mobile, and is VERY secure if it should ever disappear.

I have yet to see a mobile computer with large enough screen for my tastes, so I focus, like always, on getting a good machine and adding the human interface I prefer.  I rarely use the built in screen unless I want to work outside.  Even for travel, I will carry a monitor (only a few pounds these days) or cables to hook up to whatever monitor or TV I come across.

• Like 3

With my laptop I have a 23" monitor connected, via USB I have a hub splitter to add a wireless mouse, keyboard and numeric pad (each uses a USB dongle instead of using straight bluetooth). My laptop screen is my secondary screen. The laptop is locked in my desk if I'm not taking it home so somebody can't just walk off with it. I went with laptops about 18 or 19 years ago. Can't imagine going back.

While I still have a desktop running, I use a portable as main.  Solves the power outage data loss issues, as well as allowing me to be portable too.  While I have not tried a conventional laptop in years, I have nothing against them.  I just like the surface pro for the features, especially the ability to set the system to keep the batt at 50% when plugged in 24/7 so it does not cook the life out of the batt.  For the most part, I have a generator nearby, so I cannot recall the last time I changed the charge setting to give 100% charge.

The desktop I have is nice, but for some strange reason, the system does not do or provide any means to auto restart after power outage, which is the reason it cannot be my main.