ATX Community

Windows 11

Christian

I just updated - no real problems. Internet Explorer is completely gone and replaced 100% with Edge. That seemed like a problem but you can use an IE Mode which met my requirements. I have several sites I visit that require IE and simply do not work with Edge but the mode designation for those sites works.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcbreck said:

I just updated - no real problems. Internet Explorer is completely gone and replaced 100% with Edge. That seemed like a problem but you can use an IE Mode which met my requirements. I have several sites I visit that require IE and simply do not work with Edge but the mode designation for those sites works.

I think Edge came with Win10.  Did you update to Win11?  What about your tax software?  Not to mention other programs.

• 3 weeks later...

I have no desire to update to Windows 11.  According to the stats, my brand new (last year) computers do not have the components capable of running it.  WHAT???  I wasn't planning on updating anyway because of ATX and I am never the first one to jump on the ship.  I  trust my IT person and even he is floored as he purchased the same computers as I did at the same time.  I leave it to him to figure out.  Hopefully, by the time we are forced to use Win 11, I will be too old to care.  I heard 2025.

• Like 1

Keep is simple.  For most, do not install a new OS, update to a new computer with the new OS preinstalled.  Even without a new OS, upgrading computers at least every 5 years is a solid plan.  We, here, are talking about computers used to generate income, so remaining reasonably current is a normal and expected cost of doing business.

If the above is objectionable, then make sure, whatever your preferred method, to always use an OS still supported by the maker. W8 is good through Jan 2023, W10 through Oct 2025.  Those with the requirement to guard information of others likely have a legal obligation to do so.

As for W11, if your computer cannot pass the upgrade requirements, it likely is not as current of a model as you believed. I have a surface pro 6 which passes, and an HP all in one, several years old, and it updated to W11 with zero issues.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, JimTaxes said:

@Medlin Softwareis navigating windows 11 a lot different than navigating windows 10? 

Not really.  Been using it since the first public release.

No matter what one thinks of MS, they long ago learned their lesson about providing some way to reduce "change" in look and feel.  This is a dollar issue for them as the more change there is, the more is costs them.  I cannot remember which iteration it was, but I remember a big change - but a provided way to make it look like the prior iteration.  This time, it works nearly the same (nothing I noticed in the way of trouble finding something).

• Like 1

On 11/24/2021 at 2:18 PM, Medlin Software said:

Not really.  Been using it since the first public release.

No matter what one thinks of MS, they long ago learned their lesson about providing some way to reduce "change" in look and feel.  This is a dollar issue for them as the more change there is, the more is costs them.  I cannot remember which iteration it was, but I remember a big change - but a provided way to make it look like the prior iteration.  This time, it works nearly the same (nothing I noticed in the way of trouble finding something).

I could be wrong but I think Windows XP was their most dramatic technical upgrade but Windows 8 caused the most perceived problems? I've never had a significant problem with any of the upgrades so I don't understand the fear people have. People always freaked out about Windows 8 but 8.1 was perfectly fine. I remember being in a conference call with a vendor and them yelling not to upgrade to 8.0 but we already had and their announcement that printers and software wouldn't work was completely false. People still hold onto that fear of 8.0 and note it on every upgrade.

When I got out of college I was in a meeting and they were talking about upgrading to Windows software. Management was so completely shocked to learn that the PCs they'd been buying actually had 3.0 installed - they were just running MS-Dos because that's what their software vendors required. Windows 95 might have been the biggest leap because computers stopped using the DOS interface as the default.

I'm with Abby.  I never upgrade an OS on an existing machine. As long as all of the software supports the OS, why upgrade and risk something not working properly or being unstable afterward?  In other words, I don't fix something that isn't broken, and I'll get whatever the latest OS is the next time I purchase a new computer.

• Like 9

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Ashley N said:

Spent over 10 hours trying to get my ATX software set up only to find it is definitely NOT compatible with Windows 11. 

More accurately ATX isn't working with your computer using Windows 11 as an OS.

Do you have a new computer or did you upgrade from Win 10 to Win 11 on your current computer.

An OS either works or it keeps you from working. You don't make money with your OS, you make it with your apps.

I'm still on 8.1 on a 9 year old computer and I couldn't be happier. I may never use Win10 on my computer. Our server has 10 but it just hosts data. I skipped 7 entirely, along with all the failed named OS's from Microsoft like Millennium and Vista. XP was the first great OS from MS. 95 & 98 would freeze multiple times per day.

Other OS's I've used in order were NEC, Oasis/TheOS, DOS and Xenix. I don't know what OS's the big mainframes used in college but it was likely something from IBM.

• Like 1