ATX Community

Free Adobe Extension

Lee B

Recently Adobe has made available a free extension to the Chrome browser, which makes available a number of features

for which we previously had to pay. I have added it to my browser and after I have used it I will make some comments.

The advanced features are still reserved to paid subscribers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The Adobe browser extension gives you all of the standard Conversion, Edit and Sign & Protect functions.

However, if you just want to open a pdf to read and/or print, it's faster to use your desktop Adobe Reader

because there is a noticeable time lag when opening a pdf with the browser extension.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It turns out you can't fill any blank fields, which Adobe considers "editing."

You're immediately prompted to sign up for their free 7 day trial which requires your credit card number.

Perhaps it's not a "bait and switch", but it's definitely misleading!

I have removed the extension because my biggest need is to be able to fill out pdf forms which aren't designed to be "fillable."

• Like 2

Abby, I just looked at this online.  Do you use Standard?  I would like to use the ATX questionnaire to which I've added a couple of questions and make it possible for clients to check the boxes and add notes.  The description seems to indicate that it will do what I want.  When it isn't accurate, is it editable?  Did you order directly from Kofax?  Software CW has it for $30 less.  Thanks for the suggestion!

• Like 1

I have Adobe Pro 2017 but don't think it can make a Word or pdf document fillable.  At least I cannot figure out how to do that.  I use the ATX questionnaire, somewhat customized, and mail it out.  I don't always get it back, though.  If I could put into Verifyle also, I think there would be much better compliance.  Clients have done very well with uploading documents and signing the 8879.  If you know how to make an existing pdf fillable in Adobe, please feel free to educate me.  It seems beyond my skill set and I cannot find out how in the help menu.

3 hours ago, mcbreck said:

I use the free Foxit Reader and love it. You can edit / add text to any pdf for free. You can highlight areas to note where a client should sign.

Adobe free reader has a 'typing' feature, too, but they call it something odd like 'signing'(?) and it's sort of hidden. But I use and much prefer Foxit.

On 12/10/2021 at 1:39 PM, Margaret CPA in OH said:

Abby, I just looked at this online.  Do you use Standard?  I would like to use the ATX questionnaire to which I've added a couple of questions and make it possible for clients to check the boxes and add notes.  The description seems to indicate that it will do what I want.  When it isn't accurate, is it editable?  Did you order directly from Kofax?  Software CW has it for $30 less.  Thanks for the suggestion!

I have both the Pro and Standard version (older) but unless the checkboxes are perfect squares, it doesn't turn them into checkboxes. My clients have to type an 'x' in the yes or no boxes. I complained to ATX that there checkboxes were not squares but they did not care enough to fix them. Some of the boxes on the organizer are square and it does turn them into checkboxes that can be clicked.

I bought the latest version directly from Kofax but I had previously bought several older versions on eBay for like $30 a copy. You'd probably be happy with Nuance version 3.0, if you can find a copy of that on ebay or Amazon.

3 hours ago, mcbreck said:

I use the free Foxit Reader and love it. You can edit / add text to any pdf for free. You can highlight areas to note where a client should sign.

Perhaps you misunderstood. I went to the Foxit website and it is very clear that the free Foxit Reader does not do editing..

The Foxit Editor is $ 159.

1 minute ago, cbslee said:

Perhaps you misunderstood. I went to the Foxit website and it is very clear that the free Foxit Reader does not do editing..

The Foxit Editor is $ 159.

It doesn't allow you to edit the existing pdf but you can use the typewriter function to type anywhere on the document. We use that to put notes on client records or to paste in a calculator tape.

2 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

It doesn't allow you to edit the existing pdf but you can use the typewriter function to type anywhere on the document. We use that to put notes on client records or to paste in a calculator tape.

So you can fill in blank spaces, but you can't change fields that already have characters?

If you want to do real editing of the pdf data, you probably want their Editor software. What you can do is white out a section ( remove what is there) and then type over it. You can paste information from another source to add pages or information. If I want a real editor, I use a website to do that or generate raw from a Word type document. 99% of the time on a PDF all I want to do is type something in to add information / delete information or just highlight words for clients attention - signature lines. I can do that with their Reader version.

• Like 1