ATX Community

Hidden Practitioners

Christian

I have often wondered if the Service has any means to ferret out the likely legions of tax preparers who do not obtain a PTIN and merely file returns through the free file system using the self prepared info at the bottom of the form. A few practitioners in our area have simply sorta disappeared and my thinking is this is where they have disappeared to.

You may very well be correct. I have read free file is restricted to five filings by the various providers but ,of course, have no clue how rigidly it is enforced. My thought was the Service might have some way of checking the number of returns efiled from a given IP address. I note that Intuit has discontinued participation in the program this season.

As with payroll and all other forms of accounting where someone preparing for $ should sign, there are many shadow preparers who return documents for the TP to claim were self prepared.  I suppose, like payroll, there are some who will give their personal login information to their "preparer" to use.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2021 at 11:03 AM, Christian said:

I have often wondered if the Service has any means to ferret out the likely legions of tax preparers who do not obtain a PTIN and merely file returns through the free file system using the self prepared info at the bottom of the form. A few practitioners in our area have simply sorta disappeared and my thinking is this is where they have disappeared to.

One of them is working with me now.  And, what a blessing she is.  She has amazing work ethics and this is her chance to really learn the ins and outs of this business.  She loves it, as do I.  Therefore, she is helping me in so many ways and I am teaching her.  She is half my age so someday she will probably be sitting in this chair.  She is absolutely in awe of how varied and complicated tax preparation can be.  I am very thankful.  Extra bonus:  my clients love her.

• Like 5

On 1/1/2022 at 11:34 AM, mcb39 said:

One of them is working with me now.  And, what a blessing she is.  She has amazing work ethics and this is her chance to really learn the ins and outs of this business.  She loves it, as do I.  Therefore, she is helping me in so many ways and I am teaching her.  She is half my age so someday she will probably be sitting in this chair.  She is absolutely in awe of how varied and complicated tax preparation can be.  I am very thankful.  Extra bonus:  my clients love her.

I would love to find someone like that!

• Like 1

Ethics and common sense.  Rare indeed.  The last job I applied for, there was a test with a series of questions.  On one, I answered something like (unsure, but with a new moments of searching a specific resource, I will have the answer".  That was the thing which got me the job, admitting to the unknown, and having the knowledge to know what I did not, and how to get the information.

--

I typically use the term (formerly) common sense, since sense is no longer common.

• Like 4

On 1/3/2022 at 10:10 AM, Gail in Virginia said:

I would love to find someone like that!

I know that I am so fortunate.  I just threw it out there on Facebook asking if there was anyone out there who wanted to help out part-time preparing tax returns and she showed up.  She will do anything; sweep, shred, clean and prepare tax returns almost flawlessly.  It is a perfect fit.  If she needs help she asks for it and if she is weak in some area, I am free to tell her about it.  I allow her flexibility as to hours and a chance to learn this crazy business the proper way.  I have been doing this as a business since 1992.  I can't pay her a lot, but we feed her and I am giving her the benefit of my experience and she is a fast learner.  Perfect setup so far.  Just started second year today.💕

• Like 4