ATX Community

Appointments in 2022

mcb39

Clients are beginning to call for appointments in mid February.  This is a good thing.  Clients are asking, "Can I send my daughter, neighbor, friend?"  It is beginning to sound as though taxpayers are totally confused by all the things that they are hearing.  Well, we are here to help.  Unfortunately, we don't know all of the answers yet; but nobody knows that except us.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, cbslee said:

I took it to mean could they send someone else with their info?

At first I did too except for the next part about taxpayers being confused about all the new things and mcb's practice being there to help.

I agree with you about the POA for your interpretation though.

• Like 4

We have no problem with other people dropping off information. We won't discuss it more than saying, "Thank you," though.  If someone slides a package under the door at the office, or slips an envelope through my front door mail slot, I usually have no idea if it was the client, a neighbor, or Pony Express.  Now, if an existing client comes in with someone (friend, adult child) and says they want them on board as a backstop, then we get a Section 7216 disclosure signed before any discussions take place.  I don't think we need a POA unless the second person is wanted to take sole charge, or sign e-file authorizations and the like.

We will accept referral clients from existing good clients.  That backfired on us only once - it was last year; long term really nice client sent her brother.  What a disaster he was - we fired him and were sure we were going to lose the sister and her husband.  In the end, she apologized profusely to us!  She had no idea what kind of a financial idiot he was; apparently she referred him to her financial advisor, too, who also fired him and read her the riot act over sending him.  

• Like 8

I agree with Catherine and Yardley.  I will accept the information, but not discuss it, from their hairdresser or whoever.  However, if they want to have that same person come in to pick up the completed packet I will need a signed disclosure form for that.  i see a difference between them choosing to disclose and me disclosing.  And of course, if someone else is going to sign the return that is another kettle of fish entirely. 

• Like 3

Anyone can upload anyone's tax info on my portal. There's no way I would know if a client shared their login info for someone to upload for them. Anyone can drop a folder through the mail slot in my front door. I seldom see who it is unless I'm in my kitchen where I can see who's in my driveway. I also receive snail mail, UPS, and FedEx envelopes without knowing who did the actual shipping. However, I do email or call my clients to thank them for uploading/dropping off/sending their tax documents and to let them know I received their information safe & sound.

My delivery to them is via eSign plus I mail their tax folders for the many that still want a paper return. Haven't had an in-person delivery in a long time, but if it's not my actual client then a signed disclosure.

• Like 1

Interesting topic.

In my case, I have to worry about things such as someone wanting the license information, and if they are the person who actually paid. Whether or not someone shared their data is out of my control and as already stated, not my issue. I try to not do anything unreasonable, such as send licensing information to a strange email address without some proof the person asking is the licensee.

On the other hand, today is yet another day where more than a couple of people are trying to recover after human mistakes, and said human has no backup of their data.  There will have to come a time, for my own sanity, where I force backups, such as via secure online storage.  The issue is said humans do not like to hear they messed up, and said humans simply assume all software keeps everything for them "somewhere" in case of loss. (We make hidden backups on their drive, but those get erased and omitted too!)

The latest one is a "computer person" who is changing to a new computer for a mutual client, and failed to properly mirror the existing drive.  This is a VERY common issue, unfortunately.  The "computer person" will make me look like the bad person when telling the mutual client about the lost data. The "computer person" is trying to get me to help them do their job.  I sent my customer a copy of the messages, so they can read them for themselves.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 3:09 PM, mcb39 said:

When they say send, they mean refer.  My response is generally yes.

I am amazed at the turmoil that this post created.  It was definitely meant to mean the referral of a new client.  As far as sending information goes, we do have a locked drop box outside so there is no personal contact with someone dropping off information for an existing client; which is extremely rare.  

While I am here, could someone please change the header to read 2022.  Thank you!

On 1/1/2022 at 11:57 AM, Lion EA said:

I'll take new clients with copies of their prior returns.

Absolutely, they must bring copies of their prior returns unless this is a first-time file.  We also need proof of ID,, DOBs, Contact info, etc.  We do have a first-time client interview sheet.

• Like 2

• jklcpa changed the title to Appointments in 2022