ATX Community

E-file starts Jan 24th, I think

Catherine

Yup...January 24th it is. 

https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/jy0553

I sent my clients an email informing them that I would start to prepare returns in early February.  Given tax forms should flow in by January 31 (if we're lucky), I like to wait even further.  Over the last few years, some forms have flowed in up until mid-February or later.  But you have to start sometime, so I'll begin around February 5 this year.  I also informed them we should be ready for delays this year.  What normally would take the IRS a couple of weeks to  a month to process, and then issue refunds, could take longer this year.  Last year, several clients waited months, literally.  So who knows what this year will bring.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I would not expect any earlier, now that the IRS is likely matching to received W2 data.  With employer W2 deadline being end of Jan, starting accepting returns about a week before (likely queuing) seems to make sense (not than sense has anything to do with it).

I still say no one should get in a refund position, ever more so with the delays which may be the new norm.  (Exception for those who have more refundable credits than liability.)

• Like 1