ATX Community

NT-Just a mom bragging about her son

NECPA in NEBRASKA

Andrew was hired by United and started training January 4. It was hard for him to leave SkyWest, but this has been his dream job since he was little. He will be flying 737s out of LAX until a spot opens in Denver. We are super happy for him. I am looking forward to more fun trips to places that I have never seen.

Andrew and Marie United.jpg

Andrew United Training picture.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Terrific news. Have a good friend who recently retired from UA (flight attendant) after more than 40 years.  She was not even in the top 50 of seniority... Several other friends are A/P at SFO.

One of our sons wanted to be a garbage man (we would not be allowed to ride with him!).  Back then, there were no ready made garbage truck toys. Pilot was next, but at the time, his only route was through the regionals, and he prefers a different lifestyle.  He then went into medical research for 5 years, and is now working towards trauma surgery.  For us, we are most proud of his volunteer time at local free clinics, community based clinics, and at a VA facility.  I fully expect him to take up flying again, once he chooses where to practice.  (He is a strong believer in not being few times in the air per year private ticket guy.  He wants to be up a couple times a month, at least, to keep current.)

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Randall said:

Congrats.  Where did he get his flying training?  Military?  Air Force?  or civilian?

Randall, his training was all civilian. He started flying very young and soloed on his 16th birthday, then got his certificates on his 17 and 18th birthdays. He received his Bachelors in Air Transport Administration from the Aviation Institute at UNO, because it was much cheaper to get his flight hours on his own, instead of through the University. I did not believe his first flight instructor when he had a plan to get him through, but it turns out that he was correct. He started instructing at 18, so he built a lot of hours over time. 

9 hours ago, Medlin Software said:

Terrific news. Have a good friend who recently retired from UA (flight attendant) after more than 40 years.  She was not even in the top 50 of seniority... Several other friends are A/P at SFO.

One of our sons wanted to be a garbage man (we would not be allowed to ride with him!).  Back then, there were no ready made garbage truck toys. Pilot was next, but at the time, his only route was through the regionals, and he prefers a different lifestyle.  He then went into medical research for 5 years, and is now working towards trauma surgery.  For us, we are most proud of his volunteer time at local free clinics, community based clinics, and at a VA facility.  I fully expect him to take up flying again, once he chooses where to practice.  (He is a strong believer in not being few times in the air per year private ticket guy.  He wants to be up a couple times a month, at least, to keep current.)

That's great. It is very hard to stay current if you don't fly all of the time. Andrew is keeping his CFI current, because it's too hard to do it all over again. He does not fly private planes much anymore, but always has another good pilot with him. He says that it's way different than a jet and it's very easy to make mistakes.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NECPA in NEBRASKA said:

Randall, his training was all civilian. He started flying very young and soloed on his 16th birthday, then got his certificates on his 17 and 18th birthdays. He received his Bachelors in Air Transport Administration from the Aviation Institute at UNO, because it was much cheaper to get his flight hours on his own, instead of through the University. I did not believe his first flight instructor when he had a plan to get him through, but it turns out that he was correct. He started instructing at 18, so he built a lot of hours over time. 

Interesting.  I didn't know how people got their training outside the military.  I met a fellow hiker a few years ago.  He was a Delta pilot.  But he spent 11 years as an Air Force fighter pilot.  Recently met a man and woman, recent West Point grads, Black Hawk pilots.  So congrats to you and your son.

• Like 1