ATX Community

2022 Tax Season

Christian

Not only our workload, but the increase in cost of supplies.  Paper has doubled and tripled in price.  I use a lot of paper as noted in another thread.  I shopped online for a couple of hours and ended up finding the best deal by far at Sam's Club.  An employee delivered it after dark, but I have 2 cases sitting in my office now.  I was sure I had more in the storage room.  The only thing that is going to keep me sane is my assistant, Lisa.

• Like 5

Just as an opener. How many of your clients are going to locate must less remember those Child Credit letters and EIP letters from the Service. I am reading a married couple will receive a Child Credit letter to the wife and one to the husband. Am I reading this correctly ? It appears so illogical to me. I don't know about youall but my fees so stable for years are going to take a considerable jump.

• Like 7

That is the six million dollar question. Most probably won't even know what we're talking about. It will take extra time, but each person should create an account with the IRS to access their information. It would be nice if the IRS would provide us with a tool to check and verify what the client received. That is, if the information the IRS has is correct. Hence all of the issues with the stimulus payments. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Terry D said:

. . . . . . It would be nice if the IRS would provide us with a tool to check and verify what the client received. That is, if the information the IRS has is correct. Hence all of the issues with the stimulus payments. 

Unfortunately, given the number of dishonest preparers, scammers and identity thieves out there, this will never happen.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cbslee said:

Unfortunately, given the number of dishonest preparers, scammers and identity thieves out there, this will never happen.

I agree, but it would be nice if all credentialed preparers, EA, CPA & Attorney's could fall under some type of exception. Granted, just because you have the letters behind your name doesn't mean you are 100% honest. Just with a license on the line, I would one would give deep consideration to doing anything that would end their career. Just sayin.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Christian said:

Just as an opener. How many of your clients are going to locate must less remember those Child Credit letters and EIP letters from the Service. I am reading a married couple will receive a Child Credit letter to the wife and one to the husband. Am I reading this correctly ? It appears so illogical to me. I don't know about youall but my fees so stable for years are going to take a considerable jump.

I have already heard from clients who have received two letters; one for the husband and one for the wife.  Can things get any more messed up than they already are?  Two is almost worse than none.  They just aren't going to "get it"

• Like 5

14 hours ago, cbslee said:

That is, if the information the IRS has is correct.

Whether correct or not, at least we can be reasonably sure they won't disagree with it! Whereas if their figures are wrong, we all know we'll be the ones having to prove to the service that they are wrong.  Ugh.

Ibuprofen, acetaminophen, CBD tincture, red wine, and a brand-new bottle of Lagavulin 16 year.  That's what it's going to take!

• Like 5

A snippet from one of the IRS letters (bold is mine):

How the IRS determined your payment amounts  Monthly payment amounts were initially based on information from an income tax return you filed or information you entered in the IRS non-filer sign-up tool in 2020 or 2021. Your monthly payment amount or how or where the IRS paid your payment may have changed based on information you provided the IRS through your 2020 income tax return if the IRS processed it after June, the Child Tax Credit Update Portal, or the dedicated IRS Child Tax Credit phone line. Review each monthly payment, including any changes, at IRS.gov/ctcportal, and click “Manage Advance Payments.” If you did not receive one or more payments, contact the IRS at 800-908-4184 before filing your return. 

We all know how well the IRS is at answering their phones!

• Like 3

The phone number for EIP trace is different.  Fax numbers can be found here: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-economic-impact-payment-topic-j-payment-issued-but-lost-stolen-destroyed-or-not-received#howdoitrack

To start a payment trace:
• Call us at 800-919-9835
• Mail or fax a completed Form 3911, Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund PDF.
Reminder: DO NOT request a trace prior to the timeframes above. IRS assistors cannot start a trace prior to those timeframes.
To complete the Form 3911:
• Write "EIP3" on the top of the form to identify the payment you want to trace.
• Complete the form answering all refund questions as they relate to your Economic Impact Payment.
• When completing item 7 under Section 1:
o Check the box for "Individual" as the Type of return
o Enter "2021" as the Tax Period
o Do not write anything for the Date Filed
• Sign the form. If you file married filing joint, both spouses must sign the form.
You will generally receive a response 6 weeks after we receive your request for a payment trace, but there may be delays due to limited staffing. Get up-to-date status on affected IRS operations and services. Do not mail Form 3911 if you have already requested a trace by phone.

• Like 2

I don't know what Lagavulin is but I am game to try ANYTHING ! To date the service has LOST two of my client's mailed returns after cashing the payment checks included with the returns. They advise they have not received the client's return for the referenced year. Last year a client who filed in October 2020 got the same letter in December and had a certified mail receipt from the Center where the return was received. He finally got his refund in July of 2021. The season is off to a great start. I have pulled a muscle in my lower back and am sitting at my desk with a pillow stuck back there to give it support. I've not had a heating pad (good grief) in the house for years but will likely have to trundle off to Walmart and get one post haste ! 🤢

• Like 1
  • Sad 2