ATX Community

Drake Web

mcbreck

If you change software, do you lose access to all your old data? I'm guessing you do.

Do you really want to trust someone else with your data?

Do you trust that they'll back up your data frequently enough?

Do you want your data on someone else's server that is many times more likely to be hacked than your own server?

If the internet goes down you can't keep working.

• Like 1

JMO but the security of the cloud isn't my major concern, it's Drake going out of business (for the cloud issue). Even there I believe Drake would be sold - they've received a significant outside investment already so just going poof is very unlikely.

My question really is if the product is fast / slow and if it's significantly different from the desktop version. I'll process their demo after the tax season.

My major cloud issue previously was that occasionally I go work at client's homes / offices and I couldn't count on internet access but that's not so much an issue anymore. The web version of my current software (I don't use it) is horrifically slow. The ability to never have to worry about updates, my computer dying and ease of working from home without taking my laptop with me would be nice. My laptop dying is a major business risk. That's probably 2 days of work gone. Loading all the old software is a pain.

• Like 1

As a sidebar, Drake ended up, several years ago, buying a programming language, as I suspect they were heavily invested in its use.  The programming language company was run by a major force in the modern use of the BASIC language, but he was not setup for his unexpected demise.  The company floundered, and his widow finally found a buyer after a few years.  I have not seen any further development in the language, despite what we used to call vaporware promises, which actually makes sense since they bought it for their own needs.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

I programmed in basic in the 80s. It was both fun and easy.

Still is both.  The language is now such a small part, it is the compiler, debugger (essentially the IDE) which makes the difference.  I may someday go back to one of the MS products (as it will make it easier for me to be replaced), old school still works fine, and has little to no overhead (such as runtime/DLL requirements.