ATX Community

SEHI, CA 3895 on Drake Software vs Lacerte

Alex

Hello! I'm hoping I can get this question answered here. 

Lacerte is having the taxpayer repay the CA subsidies while Drake is giving her a refund. I believe the issue is the SEHI. 

If I enter the SEHI amount, then Drake gives her the refund. If I don't, then it becomes a balance due. The federal refund doesn't change whether I enter SEHI or not. SEHI is $9800 although it's limited to $243. I am entering the full SEHI amount on the Sch C screen under Family Health Coverage and letting Drake calculate it.

Taxpayer only has Schedule C income and the 1095A & CA 3895. AGI is either 0 (with SEHI) or $243 without.

1095 A has $9800 (A), $8052(B), $5472 (C) and the only difference in the CA portion is column C at $52.

I called Drake and they said CA approved the version. I imagine Lacerte did the same. Not sure which is calculating correctly. 

With the SEHI, Lacerte shows a balance due of $37 (because of CA EIC of $15) while Drake shows $15. 

Is there a box I'm supposed to check or uncheck? 

Thank you in advance for your help. :)

When software gives divergent results, the only way to do it is to research the state code and see what the rules are. I don't know the SEHI rules for CA (I'm on the other side of the country).  But I bet you can look up the CA SE & SEHI rules online with the FTB - unless someone here who works with CA returns knows them off the top of their head, and chimes in.