ATX Community

ACTC "Double-Dipping"

Janitor Bob

It might be more routine to some of you with higher volume, but I have my first example of the ACTC "double-dipping". Single Client with child receives ACTC in 2021...gets married at end of 2021. Now, if Client and Spouse file MFS and spouse claims child, he gets full CTC and client does not have to repay it because her income is under $40k.....It doesn't feel right, but that's what the rules, as stated, are allowing.

I have been trying to read up on this. I am on a FB group that says that we should be checking this method out for every married couple that meets the income requirements. MFS is rarely a great idea in Nebraska, so there are a lot of moving parts to check. It does not seem correct for each parent to get the credit, but apparently Congress didn't know exactly what they were passing. What a surprise! 

I have run into a similar situation with unmarried couples who have children in common.  In these situations, not only do they "double dip" on the CTC, but also the third stimulus payments.  I can not find any information saying this is permissible or that it is not.  I hope (maybe more a wish) that the IRS would come out on some guidance on this.