ATX Community

EFiling 2020 Amended 1040

MDCPA

I did not prepare or efile the original 2020 return; however, I have been engaged to prepare an amended 2020 1040 and the 2021 returns.  I entered everything as originally filed into the ATX 2020 software.  Then went to "Returns - Amend Return".  Did the corrections.  When checking the return, I get a warning - "Per IRS, if electronically filing an amended return, the original 1040 return must also have been electronically filed and accepted.  Otherwise, the amended return must be paper-filed."  Will this preclude me from efiling the amendment?  In addition, when I go to the 8879 it has the total refund they should have gotten on it had it been done properly as opposed to just the amendment refund - is this correct?  I put in a date on the 1040 EF Info tab and click the "Create EFile Button" and it comes up with Federal 1040 and MD, but nothing about the 1040X.  What am I doing wrong?

Any help is greatly appreciated - thanks.

Yes they did efile.  I’ve got confirmation of that.  Is there a way to tell ATX that the original return was efiled?  So do I get them to sign the 8879 that the software is producing showing the total refund or do I do a manual one showing only the amendment refund?  Thanks