ATX Community

Almost Speechless

Lee B

My client went through the Tax Organizer very carefully and answered every question, filled in every box.

Then she taped her supporting documents to the back of the related page of the organizer.

Next she took her multi page Brokerage 1099 which had been 3 hole punched

and carefully inserted bread bag twist ties through each hole and bound the brokerage statement pages all together.

She actually is a very nice person, but I have no words to explain this . . . .  . 🙈

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I had a client bring in a notebook today with the clear pages that each tax doc was inserted.  So I have to pull them all out and copy and then yes he wants them back into the clear jackets and put back into the notebook.  They think they are being helpful, helpful would be clients who open the enveloped and throw them away.

• Like 11

53 minutes ago, grandmabee said:

I had a client bring in a notebook today with the clear pages that each tax doc was inserted.  So I have to pull them all out and copy and then yes he wants them back into the clear jackets and put back into the notebook.  They think they are being helpful, helpful would be clients who open the enveloped and throw them away.

26 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

Add a records processing fee.

19 minutes ago, jklcpa said:

Agree with Abby and tell them why.

Grandmabee,

Tell them the charge is for being too organized.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, grandmabee said:

I have one of those, too. I love her, but it's such a freaking pain.

• Like 6

one year, finally the shoe box guy who painstakingly sat in the chair and went thru every receipt for me - his wife brought in the 3 ring binder all organized. As we flipped thru to see her work - she said wait! you are going to take out all the documents aren't you? and pulled her folder back and marched out - never to be heard from again..

• Haha 7

17 hours ago, kathyc2 said:

I have the plastic sleeve client, several don't open envelopes, a couple staple happy ones, some that use a box of paper clips and one that puts sticky notes on everything.  Like I need a sticky note to tell me a W2 is a W2.

Yes,  I have some sticky notes ones too.  those make me smile.

• Like 4

I seem to have gotten a lot of the plastic binder/envelope things.  Not sure what they're called, but they're just a little too wide to fit in my file drawer, plus I'm not paying to mail back crap like that with their tax return.  And yeah, the ones who don't open their mail and give me all the envelopes.  Or include tons of stuff I don't need, often things they don't even need.  But better too much than too little, sort of.

• Like 5

The best thing I've ever gotten in a client's bits was a $50 off coupon for H&R Block.  I thought about dropping their return off.  

The second best thing I've ever gotten was a 1099-SSA with a huge red stain on it and an arrow to a note from my client saying 'this is squash'.

• Haha 8

3 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

The worst is records from a smokers house. Smells awful and it makes me sneeze. Fortunately, there aren't many of those anymore. Also, I never see the hard copies of the records, just a PDF, so someone else has to deal with smelly records.

The ones that smell like they were soaked in perfume/cologne are just as bad. 

• Like 6

I tell clients to drop off their info or mail it to me and I'll get back to them if I need anything else.  But years ago when I would have a sit-down with them to go over everything in my office, I always enjoyed stuffing the boilerplate and the mailing envelopes into the shredder as we were talking.  Sometimes, while that thing was grinding away, the expression on their faces would be priceless.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

To jasdim better squash than poop. 😄 To Abby. A competitor used to smoke something awful. Folks would go in and have him chain smoke. Before he finished one cigarette he would light the next one and duck the partial butt in his ash tray which was overflowing. Clients reportedly left his office smelling as if they had been in a tobacco smoke house. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, kathyc2 said:

Yes, the perfumes and the smokers are horrible!  And they can stink up your whole file drawer.  I have asthma and both of those can set me off, so those ones get copied asap and then sealed in an envelope.

• Like 2

Years ago the firm I worked for had a retailer of fresh fish and seafood.  OMG, that smell permeated the papers and the clothes of the poor staff person that worked at their site.  I was very thankful that it was not assigned to me!  I worked on it in later years back in the office, and the smell would be on my hands from working with their journals.  It was just gag-me awful. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, kathyc2 said:

This applies to clients as well. I had one client who wore too much of sickeningly sweet smelling perfume, and sometimes she's hug me and I'd smell her perfume until I went home and took my clothes off. Thank goodness for the pandemic and working from home!

• Like 3