ATX Community

Any PA Preparers here?

GLJEANNE

I have a kid who's employer withheld PA tax one week by mistake - the kid never set foot in PA - and then didn't correct it. So now we're filing for refunds.

What form do we use for the refund of his local tax from Lawrence? The only thing I found in ATX was the PA FREIT, but not sure that's correct. Couldn't find anything on the web.

If the PA FREIT is correct, does it go with the state return, or separate? There's no mailing address.

Thanks!

I have a kid who's employer withheld PA tax one week by mistake - the kid never set foot in PA - and then didn't correct it. So now we're filing for refunds.

What form do we use for the refund of his local tax from Lawrence? The only thing I found in ATX was the PA FREIT, but not sure that's correct. Couldn't find anything on the web.

If the PA FREIT is correct, does it go with the state return, or separate? There's no mailing address.

Thanks!

In ATX, the local return most used is F1, filed with Berkheimer, a tax administrator in Bangor, PA. www.hab-inc.com, 800-701-7206 or 610-588-0965.

I am not sure where your "Lawrence" is in PA. There is a village as well as County of Lawrence. Call Berkheimer and ask about it. Berkheimer withholding would usually be from .5 to 1.5%

If you use F1, note that it is a legal size form - printer should remind you.

So the various counties don't each have their own forms? I'll call them tomorrow, thanks for the tip.

If you go to www.revenue.state.pa.us/ and click on Tax Professionals then Local Taxes, you will be able to get lots of specific info including adresses and people to contact in each municipality, cause most of these local taxes are not counties, but towns. It is my experience that they run these offices like little fiefdoms, and won't refund anything unless the employer gets involved.

Good luck.

Bob

If you go to www.revenue.state.pa.us/ and click on Tax Professionals then Local Taxes, you will be able to get lots of specific info including adresses and people to contact in each municipality, cause most of these local taxes are not counties, but towns. It is my experience that they run these offices like little fiefdoms, and won't refund anything unless the employer gets involved.

Good luck.

Bob

On no, this does not bode well!!! The poor guy's employer has royally screwed up since the begining - and we're still waiting for them to correct his W2s. So I guess I better warn him not to count on getting this part back!

On no, this does not bode well!!! The poor guy's employer has royally screwed up since the begining - and we're still waiting for them to correct his W2s. So I guess I better warn him not to count on getting this part back!

Two thoughts:

1 I have submitted quite a few returns showing refunds to Berkheimer over the years. I have always inclosed the attached documentation to document the refund, i.e, PA Form UE, Federal 2106, and have never had any problem getting refunds.

2 Several counties in PA do have their own forms, e.g., Lancaster and York. Most smaller jurisdictions choose to use an independent administrator like Berkheimer - read that as "outsourcing."

The prior replies are all correct. Being born and raised in the state makes it no easier and 23 years as a PA tax preparer really keeps one on toes. Here is info to baffle you some more:

> Berkheimer collects for less than half of PA.

> Central Tax Bureau is the other biggy.

> Capital Area collects for a section of central PA.

> Berks, Lancaster, and York all collect on a county basis.

> Some areas are collected by school districts.

> And some school districts have multiple collection agents.

> BobinNJ is correct in that many areas won't refund anything.

> Getting anything back from Philadelphia is impossible and Pittsburgh is just plain flakey.

Here's the local regional web link:

http://munstatspa.dced.state.pa.us/Registers.aspx

By going to the Advanced Search you can find the right collector using a locality or school district.

Good luck!