ATX Community

Please ATX - please rollover driver's license numbers

schirallicpa

I don't think CT allows DL rollover, but then it's still optional to enter for CT residents. So, I don't enter CT DLs unless needed for NY, CO, etc.

That did save my butt when a client working in Singapore, so little contact other than via his wife via email, had lost his DL and gotten an entirely new number when he was in the US on biz. So glad I asked for them to confirm their #s before just copying from his prior year return.

• Like 1

In my state it's requested but you can decline to provide your DL info with the caveat that your refund may be held up while the state 

verifies your identity. With my older clients that have years of filed tax returns, not providing their DL info hasn't held up their refunds.

I have had several younger clients that didn't provide their DL info whose refunds were held up.

State mailed them a letter asking them to call and verify their identity.

• Like 1

We save pic of the DL in every client file. Or a text document with the information, and the file name is "Joe DL exp2025" so we know when we need a new one. Yes, it's a pain. Like supposed to ask for socsec card annually.  As if it changes year to year? Gimme a break.  

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Gail in Virginia said:

I don't think that the IRS cares - this seems to be a state issue.

Agreed.  Drake rolls it over and flags it so that the preparer has to make a decision to accept it or make some changes on that screen.

Eta - I think it is a setup option that Drake give the preparer to roll that information forward or not.

• Like 2