ATX Community

Need help with DC and MD

GraceNY

Taxpayer's last day of work in NY 08/15/21.  Moved to DC on 08/25/21.  However, taxpayer rented an apartment in DC starting 07/01/21.  That makes a 184 days of maintaining a place of abode in DC.  So it looks like a resident return is needed?  If a DC resident return is filed, taxpayer gets credit for taxes paid to NY on the same income.  NY will have to be filed as Resident as well as taxpayer maintained a place of abode in NY for 237 days (01/01/21 'til 08/25/21).

While living in DC, taxpayer worked at NIH in MD and received a 1099-G (box 6, taxable grants).  Looks like taxpayer is required to file an MD return?  Instructions say if taxpayer had MD source income from sources other than salaries or wages, in this case 1099-G, they are required to file an MD return.  

Going through all three of these states instructions and feel like I am going in circles.  Any input would be helpful.

Thanks.

Grace

DC, MD and VA have a reciprocal agreement and you pay income taxes ONLY where you live. So nothing is needed for MD in your case.

I will limit my comment to DC. There is no need to mention the apartment in this case. File as a part-year resident from 8/15/2021 to December 12/31/2021. The standard deduction for a single person will be something like $1,000 per month since it is the same as the Federal standard deduction. So in this case you standard deduction if single will be about $4,500.  You go to DC-40 form and look for the light blue box on page 2 line 8 and enter the income received in NY (while a non-resident). 

• Like 1