ATX Community

CA & Premium Tax Credit Repayment

Lion EA

[Cross posting to increase my chance of hearing from a CA preparer]

CA 540 Box 92 is not checked by software. 1095-B for 4 months & 1095-A for 8 months & FTB 3895 for those same 8 months. Small Federal repayment & small CA repayment.

But she DID have full-year health care coverage.

CA instructions say:  

ISR Penalty

Line 92 – Individual Shared Responsibility (ISR) Penalty

Enter your Individual Shared Responsibility Penalty from form FTB 3853, Health Coverage Exemptions and Individual Shared Responsibility Penalty, Part IV, line 1.

If you, your spouse/RDP (if filing a joint return), and anyone you can or do claim as a dependent had minimum essential coverage (also referred to as qualifying health care coverage) that covered all of 2020, check the "Full-year health care coverage" box on Form 540, line 92. If you check the box on Form 540, line 92, you do not owe the individual shared responsibility penalty and do not need to file form FTB 3853. For more information, get form FTB 3853.

Does that mean I check the box manually? And, delete FTB 3853?

In ProSytem fx the check box on data entry is to be checked only if NOT full-year coverage.

I'm going to make manual changes, the check box for sure. Not sure if I should delete the Covered CA form she received first to see if that deletes the CA 540 Schedule.

Client gave this afternoon as a time to talk, and other dates also, but I want to sleep on it and reread the stuff on CA's website and 540 instructions. Buried in all the legalese was something about nothing in column C on the Covered CA form; she has all zeros in Column C.

She's going to want a reduction in my fee for dropping a form, I just know her. And, dropping this form is costing me hours more time than just entering it. I want to RAISE her fee for including documents that I had to determine are not needed. I began her returns 14 February, but she picked at little things, needing the little things explained to her, while I tried to pin down the big things, the diagnostics that I needed to research. Rant over!

I can NOT check the box manually without a diagnostic.

I'm reluctant to delete a form/CA Sch 3853 that the program generated, but that's what the CA instructions imply.

CCH Support told me that the CA schema requires "this box does NOT check if there are ANY 1095s or 3895s in the return." I could un-enter her 3895, but can NOT delete her 1095-A nor 1095-B without creating errors in her federal return.

Anyone have a Covered CA 3895 for LESS than 12 months plus 1095-B, so they total 12 months?

(Next year should be good with 12 months on Covered CA. Then the following year will be another mess with reaching 65 for Medicare during the year!)