ATX Community

Possible Solution for ATX not rolling over Drivers License info

Abby Normal

Add the Permanent File form and on the Data 2 tab, enter the license number, issue date and expiration date on 3 separate lines. Then link those lines to the Main Info form. This will need to be tested to see if causes any efile rejections, but the Permanent File form will rollover and the links will be there.

image.png.b0947e2fa667092ccee35c819883ebd1.png

image.png.0bf1826678d659fd9bbcdff4d051cac2.png

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, BulldogTom said:

Abby is so smart.   But what I really want to know is how he has time, in the middle of tax season, to figure these things out????????

Tom
Longview, TX

My mind works 24/7. I have some of my best ideas in the shower. I've considered billing clients for my shower time, when I come up with a solution for their problem. But seriously, this year, I'm only part time because I am done as of the 18th. Although I'm sure I'll get calls for at least a year from those wanting to pick my brain.

• Like 3

Plus this gets complained about every year, and I had recently suggested just keeping a note, so you could copy/paste the license number into ATX. Then last night, it just hit me. Enter it somewhere else in ATX that will rollover and link it.

I was having a rough day where nothing went right, so I had a shower, drank a beer and it hit me. Besides linking fields in ATX is one of the best features and also one of the most underutilized features. I'd bet that the majority of users don't even know it's there.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, grandmabee said:

WOW,  I have been using ATX since the saber days and I didn't know there was a "permanent file tab"

Where have I been?????

Same here!  I'm wondering if this might also be able to solve one of my other pet peeves, of home address info that doesn't roll over to our local Property Tax refund return.  Every stinking year, have to enter all the address info, even though it can only be claimed on the filers home, so it's  99% of the time going to be the same address as the 1040.

Way to go Abby!!  I too have my best ideas in the shower, but I seldom remember them by the time I'm done.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, GLJEANNE said:

home address info that doesn't roll over to our local Property Tax refund return. 

I'm confident that a link will work there. I do something similar with MD, who require a taxpayer's physical address, which for us 95% of the time is the same as the mailing address already on the return.

• Like 1

Wow, I did not realize about the permanent file either and will definitely be using this feature in the future!  I have no idea how to link and would love to use this  feature.  I don't have time to read the 500 pages of explanation, any chance of giving me the short easy version on how to link?

Sigh, first efile with this got rejected.  And another one showed errors before being able to create.  All on the dates.  tried various formats, nothing worked.  Bummer, it was an great solution!
I'm going to keep the info on the Perm sheet, at least it will be easy to copy/paste next year.  And it does keep the long ID numbers, so that's half the battle!

I'm going to try again, using different fields on the Perm file.  hopefully if we use a date field, it should link correctly.

I was bummed that I can't link adresses to my stupid local form.  ATX error, something about not being able to use links on a detail sheet.  Sigh.

Maybe I am old school, I just go into the ATX prior year and print the main page to pdf or printer.

This way if the dates have expired, and NYS has a fit about that, I can ask for updated license.

Plus we need the Doc# for NYS which can be anywhere on the license (Front, Back, etc)