ATX Community

Stupid mistake

GLJEANNE

I made such a boneheaded mistake yesterday.  Though at worst it will a generate a couple WTH? letters from the states, I think.

I spent the most of the day working on two returns from hell.  This one, the young TP had moved from MN to WI, and first there was all kinds of confusion with her two Sch Cs in the organizer, home offices and all.  This is only the second year she's had to file her taxes, so she's still getting used to it. 

Anyway, tons of back of and forth emails.  And I have a clear memory of changing the address on Main Info, but I'm guessing that was one of the many times the program crashed, and I didn't remember to check it when I re-opened.  So  2 Cs, 2 HOs 2 part-year resident state returns - all showing her old MN address!  And I didn't catch it until I went to print a mailing slip this morning, after everything had been e-filed.

I'm laughing, but kicking myself too. What a dumb thing, but I don't generally even look at the top of 1040 once I've initially entered everything.  And of course, by the time any agency wants to contact her, the forwarding order will have expired and their letters will get returns.

I'll file a change of address with the IRS, but I'm thinking I should file state amendments at some point, just to show the correct change of address on the Cs, but not sure how soon to do it.  Unless anyone has a better suggestion?

What are the chances that the states will mail her something meaningful? She can pay her bill to the states from the print out you give her or her refund directly to her bank account. 

Send address change forms to each state and that should be it. Just keep records. 

• Like 1