ATX Community

stock sales and expenses

Pacun

I want to double check this:

I have a statement from Robinhood Securities LLC for stock sales. 

Short termed:
Proceeds $1,500, basis $1000

Long Term:
Proceeds $2,000 and basis $1,200

The report shows $400 in expenses. Is Schedule A, itemized deductions, the only place to deduct those $400

My first inclination was the same as Possi.  But I did not think that Robinhood provided management/advisory services.  So if these were actually expenses of the sale (although they seem high for that) then perhaps Grace is correct.  So basically, like all tax questions I need to know more information and until then my answer is "it depends."  🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 2

It has other fees. Below is from the site, and the fee schedule booklet can be found at the link "RHF Fee Schedule" on its legal and disclosure page.

Commission-free trading refers to $0 commissions for Robinhood Financial self-directed individual cash or margin brokerage accounts that trade U.S. listed and certain OTC securities electronically. Keep in mind, other fees such as trading (non-commission) fees, Gold subscription fees, wire transfer fees, and paper statement fees may apply to your brokerage account. Please see Robinhood Financial’s fee schedule to learn more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You can't deduct on A anymore.

Only time I've seen it where it was deductible was when a client paid a special fee to trade a stock on a foreign exchange - we included it in their cost basis. Otherwise I think it's very likely a lost expense. For example, wiring funds will show up often times as an expense and you can't deduct that. Look through the 1099 and see if it gives a reason for the expense and whether it should be included somewhere.

• Like 6