ATX Community

Best black and white multi function machine

Marie

Was using a Kyocera 2540.  now it's crunching paper, shading terrible and just causing too much trouble for this time of the years.  It is a 42page output.  off brand toner was reasonable.  3 years old  Is it worth calling a repairman?  probably not

Any suggestions on good machines?  

I've always used HP printers. They've been my workhorses for decades. But my current IT guy likes Brother, saying at the lower price points Brother is better than HP. So, I have a Brother laser, very fast, black & white printer for tax returns. I still have a very old HP color multi function machine for everything else; it was actually a freebie from a client who upgraded. See what prices you find on Amazon and what sales you find in your local Staples/office supply stores.

By the way, my oldest HP, which still was going strong, had an off brand cyan toner explode inside it. It was from the mid-90s so didn't seem worth the time to clean it out or the expense to have it professionally cleaned/repaired. I've gone back to HP and Brother toners!

• Like 1

My hand-me-down all-in-one is HP Officejet Pro 8500 Premier. I do love it. Look for whatever their newest version is.

I've had Brother all-in-ones in the past, all of which died young; but my IT guy feels Brother has improved a lot over the years, especially in the more affordable price ranges.

6 Brother Laser printers here.  Use to use HP since the original HP LaserJet III (1990).  Damn Im getting old !!  But switched to Brother about 4 years ago. Anyway the Brothers are cheap to operate.  We use generic toner cartridges and drums from LD Products.  Never any issue.  8,000 page toner cartridge is only $19.99

Brother MFC-8890 DW here.  Can't say there's never been issues, but only once have I needed a repair person, to replace.... some part that needs to be replaced every 5+ years.  LOL.  It does seem to be overheating lately - but who can blame it, during tax season? - but if it goes I'll replace it with the same model, or close to it. 

Lower priced machines have drums which only last xx,xxx copies before they have to be replaced which can be expensive.

One of my clients was sold a lower priced HP.

The drum didn't even last 20,000 copies, then the drum replacement cost was about 60% of the original purchase price. :(

My Canon multi-function is basically a monochrome printer with a couple of bells and whistles that rarely see use. My scanner is an ancient Kodak i1120 duplex scanner that is fabulous. Main printer is an HP color laser. But sometimes I just want fast monochrome that I can grab from where I sit; that's the Canon. Plus it will fax and copy, and on rare occasion I'll use it to scan.

• Like 1