ATX Community

Efile Rejection Error for Trust

ETax847

I keep getting the database validation error when E-Filing a client's Federal Trust Return.  The error states that the Filer's EIN and Name Control in the Return Header must match data in the E-File Database.  Does anyone know what this is referring to?

The name control and last name of the individual listed on the 1041-EF are the same as in years past.

The IRS has a database of the "short names" that get submitted along with the Tax IDs and they do a matchup. I've had problems this year also and my tax software insists it isn't on their end. Here was my solution:

Trust name for the last 20 years is "J L Smith Irrevocable Trust". For always the software used a short name of JLSM but this year the IRS required me to change the name to Smith J L Irrevocable Trust" to generate the correct short name of SMIT. If you are using Drake I think you can do a short name override? Don't know about the rest. My software provider said they'd never heard of such a problem. They could see that I'd filed it that way with their software for over 5 years and couldn't imagine the problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1