ATX Community

Anyone heard they may extend deadline ?

BTS

Rettig has been adamant that the deadline is NOT being extended.

It's such a waste of time to have to break stride to get extensions out. If we didn't have to compute what they owe and gather signatures for payment or talk them through DirectPay and none of the states online are that easy -- for another month (I really, really liked the 15 July deadline best) it would be heaven for me. Any preparer could close at any time. But I like to work year-round and have enough clients to do that. I barely begin personal returns when I have to switch for a month to prepare entity returns. Then try to pick up speed for one more month of personal returns. This year, there was little I could complete prior to 15 February, so really didn't get more than a couple of personal returns out for signature until after 15 March.

Every. Single. Return. I started had a missing form or a glitch in that state or something I had to wait on. Put it aside. Try it again after every software update or "clarification" from the IRS or Congress. Put it aside again. When I can finally complete a return, I'm proofreading it for at least the second or third time. Huge amount of time spent on Every Single Return. Easily double. I can't charge double; although, I'm raising my rates.

I read a preparer commenting that he could've gone away on vacation for all of January and all of February and still be in the same place today, not being able to complete returns until March. Think K-2/K-3 fiasco. Letters 6419 and Letter 6475 still arriving as recently as last week. Forms SSA-1099 not mailed as of 9 March. I'm still waiting on a CA form for my second client. My first client was SC and couldn't e-file until 4 March. But I have to break up this most productive month to prepare extensions.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Lion - that is my life!!

And Abby Normal - so right!!! especially the way ATX has added even more steps to the extension!!!

Takes 2 weeks to just rollover and do extensions - started and still doing in between!!

And the issues I am getting!

I am further behind than ever and I wanted to be ahead this year!

Yikes!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, WITAXLADY said:

Takes 2 weeks to just rollover and do extensions - started and still doing in between!!

I can't even imagine doing that many!  Of course most of my returns revolve around business entities and their owners, so I don't do that many returns any more.

I can count my extensions on one hand.

• Like 3

On 3/29/2022 at 7:57 PM, WITAXLADY said:

Lion - that is my life!!

And Abby Normal - so right!!! especially the way ATX has added even more steps to the extension!!!

And the issues I am getting!

I am further behind than ever and I wanted to be ahead this year!

Yikes!

Yes, here too!!😪

All I got last week was, "When will you finish my return?" I've written tons of emails re my backlog/why my backlog and haven't even started extensions yet. But more aware clients send me the WSJ/NYT articles about the IRS backlogs. And, I just got my first of this year "I'll pay a little more if you're able to get it done without filing an extension." I'm charging more this year anyway, hers is not an expensive return, so I don't think I could charge enough to make it worthwhile to move her up in my queue and end up losing another client - forever - farther down in my queue who gets tired of waiting. She did send me her fiance (how do you get the ' over the e?) with a new Covid biz who I told he's going on extension. Maybe between the two of them, I can charge enough...

• Like 2

We are running two weeks behind, which is normal every season this time of year.  So all drop offs after April 1st will have extensions filed.  But usually crap settles the last week and we can make a dent on those.  Got spoiled the last few years with the extended season.  We did send letters to all of our habitual extension clients, telling them all documents have to be in hand by April 15th or they will have to go elsewhere.  Its always like pulling teeth to get documents from these clients.  And they wait till October.  Not anymore.  Done with all that.  Been 24 years since we took a vacation and my butt will be on one this fall !!!  Come April 15th our door will be closed, phone system off and portal shut down !!!  :)   Yes April 15th.  April 18th can take a hike !!

• Like 2

On 4/1/2022 at 9:55 AM, TAXMAN said:

When do you cut off and start sending Ext.

On our calendar for tomorrow is an all-day event:  "Everyone gets an extension!" Every client whose return is not complete and ready to submit will be put on extension. We'll send them payment coupons *if* we've gotten that far. Not our problem if folks who owe didn't send us their docs in time.

Our cutoff for completion by 4/15 is 3/15. That means all docs in-house. Nothing outstanding (missing statement, missing basis, missing DL dates, missing whatever). Which nearly no one meets.  But it's in our letter every season, too, so it's not a surprise to anyone.  

We'll spend the day prepping and submitting extensions for everyone on the list noted above, and then move one with the season, completing as many returns as we can without regard to the 4/15 (18, 19, whatever) date.  When I started getting seriously hard-nosed about extensions, a lot of the season-end pressure evaporated. I still work hard, and long, but without that horrible feeling of "gotta get more done!" that hounds us.

• Like 3