ATX Community

Second Stimulus Payment

Christian

A client had an epiphany and now believes he did not receive the second $600 stimulus payment. On review of the rules for claiming it as a refund I find it should have been entered on his 2020 return. That would require the filing of an amended return for 2020? I am unable to find a provision allowing it on the current 2021 filing. 

As we know, each year is different and a separate entity for EVERYTHING not just for stimuli. Amend if necessary.

I just filed 2021 and amended 2020 because a client had the second stimulus check in his hand but lost it.  My partner (not tax preparer) gave me a message that this person didn't get the second stimulus. Since I have done their taxes for years, I said: "it is impossible that the IRS didn't send the second stimulus". When I talked to the client, he gave me his version and I amended. 

I have a client whose husband died in early 2020.  I had $3600 included in the 2020 return to receive both stimulus payments for both.  She later called IRS and IRS eventually sent her $3000 but said she was not eligible for the $600 for her deceased husband.  But she never got the rest of her refund ($614) which would have been her refund without stimulus money.  I'm wondering if IRS closed her 2020 account after giving her the $3000.  I'm wondering if I can file an amended 2020 refund claiming the regular refund of $614.  I'm thinking IRS would check the amended return and what they gave her and agree that she is due another $614.  Any thoughts on amending 2020 in this way?

The IRS will adjust stimulus payments the same as they do estimated tax payments, so no need to amend and no need to worry.

Pull an account transcript so you can prove to the client that they got what they were supposed to. And if the transcripts show they somehow did not get all they were entitled to, then you can amend.

• Like 2

I have wondered if a taxpayer could file form 3911 if they disagree with the IRS about whether or not they received a stimulus payment.  I have one client that got the letter saying he and his wife each got the $1400 last year. but he swears that they did not.  Ordinarily I would suggest a phone call but we all know how well that works these days.  I gave him the form and suggested that he could try mailing that in, but warned him it might take two years to get a response because paper isn't working so well either.  🤷‍♀️

My case is a little different. Client received the stimulus which was included on the 2020 return.  But did not receive the rest of her refund, a refund that would have been if there were no stimulus.  That's why I'm wondering whether to file an amended 2020 return.