ATX Community

News media giving me fits!

elfling

I don't know about other places but radio, tv, newspapers here are blasting that "if you don't file by today, you won't get the stimulus money." :angry: I've lost track of how many times I've had to explain that that money is not lost just because an extension has been or will be filed. It will just arrive at a later date rather than in the initial distribution round. :wacko:

Phone rang relentlessly yesterday. "Is it true? I won't get a stimulus check if you don't file my return by tomorrow?" Well, no, not exaclty.

People dropping by to see if I could get their returns done by today. Not with 40 extensions already ahead of your drop off! And they glare at me when I direct them to the sign on the wall above my shoulder -- Lack of planning on your part DOES NOT qualify as an EMERGENCY on my part!

Can't wait until 5:00 pm today. The local post office closed and so do I. Unfortunatley, next Monday will arrive sooner than I can get my Things to Do and Things I Want to Do lists anywhere near complete. :blush:

I don't know about other places but radio, tv, newspapers here are blasting that "if you don't file by today, you won't get the stimulus money." :angry: I've lost track of how many times I've had to explain that that money is not lost just because an extension has been or will be filed. It will just arrive at a later date rather than in the initial distribution round. :wacko:

Phone rang relentlessly yesterday. "Is it true? I won't get a stimulus check if you don't file my return by tomorrow?" Well, no, not exaclty.

People dropping by to see if I could get their returns done by today. Not with 40 extensions already ahead of your drop off! And they glare at me when I direct them to the sign on the wall above my shoulder -- Lack of planning on your part DOES NOT qualify as an EMERGENCY on my part!

Can't wait until 5:00 pm today. The local post office closed and so do I. Unfortunatley, next Monday will arrive sooner than I can get my Things to Do and Things I Want to Do lists anywhere near complete. :blush:

I have had people that always get extensions bringing their stuff in "early". (They think April 12 is early.) I am sick to death of explaining to them that "you will still get the rebate if you file after April 15." I have even been telling them that I am getting an extension myself. One of these called yesterday: "OK, get the extension, and don't work on mine till I have I chance to go back over what I gave you to see if I missed anything." Where is that white towel cause I'm ready to throw it in. It would almost be easier to work around the clock and get 'em done than explaining this over and over.

ITA, this next week will fly by at supersonic speed. I hate that.

Plus, I'll probably come down with some sickness. Always happens every year.

LOL! I've learned over the years to always plan on the 16th and 17th being sick days. Just our bodies' way of saying "enough already, now it's MY turn!!"

Looking forward to a couple days in bed...

We criticize the clients for not planning ahead, but then I think many tax preparers also fail to plan ahead. Let me suggest something for next tax season that will considerably lower your stress level.

Pick a date in March and tell everyone who comes in after that date that you'll be filing a "precautionary" extension. Explain to them that by doing this, we can take Apr 15 off the table as an important date. If you get the return finished before Apr 15 then that's fine, but if not they don't need to stress out about the date because you certainly aren't going to do so. I usually use Mar 20, but this year I moved the date to March 12 because of the extra attention the stimulus payments would cause.

Following this practice gives you maximum flexibility in early to mid April when you need it most, and once you've done it a season or two, it gets easier and easier. Setting this expectation with the clients also enables you to better control your work flow and actually respond to situations which need special attention before Apr 15 without being distracted by the low-risk stuff.

We criticize the clients for not planning ahead, but then I think many tax preparers also fail to plan ahead. Let me suggest something for next tax season that will considerably lower your stress level.

Pick a date in March and tell everyone who comes in after that date that you'll be filing a "precautionary" extension. Explain to them that by doing this, we can take Apr 15 off the table as an important date. If you get the return finished before Apr 15 then that's fine, but if not they don't need to stress out about the date because you certainly aren't going to do so. I usually use Mar 20, but this year I moved the date to March 12 because of the extra attention the stimulus payments would cause.

Following this practice gives you maximum flexibility in early to mid April when you need it most, and once you've done it a season or two, it gets easier and easier. Setting this expectation with the clients also enables you to better control your work flow and actually respond to situations which need special attention before Apr 15 without being distracted by the low-risk stuff.

John, I have copied your posting and put it in my task list for follow up. I will institute this next season. What a fantastic idea. Thank you so much.

Maribeth

I have been using the March 15th date for a couple of years in my annual letter I send to my clients but I didn't word it as well as you did. It really does make a difference. The ones that come in after March 15th expect that they may have to file an extension and I do encourage extensions. Extensions make it possible to spread your work out over 9 months instead of 3 months and that really reduces the stress level. It also extends the time that I can eat steak instead of beans.

Very good suggestion, and I actually do something similar, although I see that I need to pick a date in March. Yes, it has to be explained, but it does get easier. Also, there's always somebody "new" that needs the explanation each year, either they've never "waited this late" or they are new clients. But this year! A great number of my people that are normally ok with extensions are afraid of filing after April 15 this year. Like this client that stormed in on April 12th, not even sure she has given me everything. Just gotta file something to get the "free money." Guess I am letting it get to me.

My pastor said in his sermon Sunday, "God doesn't expect us to get everything done." I am thinking about that a lot.

Our "extension sign" did go up on March 24th this year. We have used a practice similar to John's for several years. Normally clients are fine with that.

This year the media push about the stimulus money just made things a lot more quirky. Federal returns for a bunch who usually only file state, extra returns for new people as well as some folks we haven't seen in years, and just so-o-o-o many questions. Seems like the past two weeks were exhausting compared to the past few.

Good thing I punctuate many conversations with bits of humor. Helps keep clients from "shooting the messenger."

Elfling

Unfortunately, I beg to disagree. I cannot tell you how many clients

that I picked up over the years due to their dissatisfaction with having to

settle for an extension after getting their prior tax preparer their info

BEFORE March 15th.

Of course I still file extensions for clients, but limit these to people who

drop off their info after April 10th.

Booger

No extensions for me! 645 returns later and I'm done today. Matter of fact, I'm just waiting for people to pick up now. If someone comes in with something simple, I'll do it. Otherwise, I tell them they'll have to go somewhere else. They know I don't do extensions. It's been a crazy tax season, but it's over for me today! (now I have my Township meetings tonight......)

My limit this year was March 31. At least two new clients took one look at my fried self last week and said extensions are no problem! besides we are leaving on vacation/going on a business trip/(or in the case of my ex-husband, getting married to a Thai girl I met on vacation last month) and won't be back til the 17th/18th/after the wedding.