ATX Community

The Latest Scoop from ATX

GLJEANNE

Just pulled this off the other forum:

04/15/2008

updated 4-15-08 at 5pm--Our developers have been trying a few tasks here that can possibly speed up the processors so that we can alleviate some of the server errors which are due to high volume. They believe they have implemented some very small, safe changes that will help, so you should start getting into the EFC more easily in the coming hours.

We are experiencing very high efile volume April 14-15. We are seeing more "server errors" today than usual, and there is no action needed. Simply keep trying to send your efiles.

This high efile volume translates into higher call volume to the CS Dept and our wait times are much longer than usual. We have added staff, increased hours, shortened lunches, and extended our closing time to 11pm tonight.

This is from the website - the lady from support that I spoke to said that there will be no ACKS sent out today..they are using the computers to receive the high volume of returns.The botton line was Keep Trying to send the returns! They are hoping that after the 6:00 pm drain things will slow down

So much for planning to take time off after tonight...

I just checked my last 3 e-filed returns online at MYATX....

#1 -- Waiting for IRS ACK. (It was transmitted to ATX at 7AM CDST but not submitted to IRS until 3AM drain -- WTF?)

#2 & #3 -- NO IRS FILE CREATED. Both were transmitted to ATX at 12:11 CDST and Validated by EFC.

Customer Service is sending a request to EFC to find them. As much as I like ATX software, I will not continue to accept their "standard of customer service" any longer.

The evaluation of other software starts today. Unfortunately, I don't think I will find anything similar in price that will give me all the options I have available with ATX (ie 1040, 1120, 1065, 1041, 940, 941, 1099, W-2, Unlimited E-file, Unlimited States, and a Zillion other forms).

I really like Ultra Tax, but cannot afford it, so I will test TRX Pro, Drake, and Tax Slayer soon. I like the comments about TRX, ie that they do a respectable conversion from ATX files. Any forms I can't get from these lower-price packages I will download from states/IRS and do by hand. There is NO WAY I will use ATX or any CCH products again !

I really like Ultra Tax, but cannot afford it, so I will test TRX Pro, Drake, and Tax Slayer soon. I like the comments about TRX, ie that they do a respectable conversion from ATX files. Any forms I can't get from these lower-price packages I will download from states/IRS and do by hand. There is NO WAY I will use ATX or any CCH products again !

I've talked to a couple of long time UT users -- they said it was a piece of crap this year too.

I wouldn't mind learning ONE new software but everyone one I have looked at this morning has their business tax package separate from their 1040 and either the Payroll forms are part of a write up program or not offered at all. I don't need a write up program.

I personally believe in 2nd chances. I will be renewing with ATX but downgrading to the MAX program and purchase my research/reference materials elsewhere. I will also be keeping my options open to any *new* software that appears (ie Mel in Hawaii).

I liken this to Intuit/QuickBooks. I curse Intuit Customer Service/Tech Support every time I have to deal with them and wish that there was another alternative -- the alternatives are usually worse.

I can deal with poor customer service but I can't deal with software that doesn't give me all the convenience in one pretty little package.

Oh No ! No payroll return forms in other tax packages ? That's one thing I need. If the feds ever set up an on-line payroll return facility like we have in WI this would not be a problem. I am still determined to stay away from CCH next year, so will weigh all the alternate options.

I'll prob test TRX & Drake, but if I leave ATX I need payroll and 1099 package from somewhere. I'd prefer that it not be integrated with write-up software. Any suggestions?

I have not personally used it, but I have heard that CFS makes a module for payroll forms and 1099's. I use their tax tools module for loan amortizations and other miscellaneous forms. http://www.taxtools.com/Default.aspx

I have been very pleased with CFS. Good looking output and easy to use. I haven't efiled 941's or W-2/W-3's. It seems to me that it's less work to print then, slap on a sticky note, and let the client do something.

On a related note, I find that managing 8879's adds about 10 minutes to each efiled return. In the past, I printed the 8453 and handed it to the client -- "Mail this in three days or they're coming to get you!" This year I had to make a separate area for "pending" files and try to keep up with who has returned the forms so I could efile. What do others do?