ATX Community

modifying a locked field??

Samantha

Anyone know how to unprotect a locked field by chance? Long story short, the "bottom line" of the return is correct but some supporting forms (Sch E, line 22 and F8582) show up a little wonky for a principal residence, turned rental, with multiple assets involved. Form 4797 shows the 121 exclusion correctly but because ATX direct to enter sale of principal residence that's been used for rental/business using Fixed Assets tab (instead of F8949 worksheet), only 1 of the assets allows the "sale of princp residnc" box to be checked so that 1 of the assets shows a big gain, the other a big loss. They net to correct figures but definitely don't show up on F8582 correctly. This is VERY DETAILED and technical. It was a win just to figure out the F4797 and now this!!! I know what needs to be changed (Sch E line 22) just can't modify the field!!

I don't like override but it is available on some boxes just by right clicking. If a box doesn't have "override" go one level up and override that entry.

I don't like overrides because they can mess up the whole return not just the form involved.

Thanks for your replies; only looking if someone knows how to override when the error comes up "this field may not be modified."

Clarification on the question: how to unprotect the sheet in order to override a field that cannot be modified with the override feature already available on some fields via right-clicking. To display correctly, the override is necessary.

Yes, I did mark as complete disposition. The field definitely needs modification. The 121 exclusion shows as a negative as it should on F4797. Problem is...it shows all on only 1 of the 6 related assets on F8582 as a huge negative instead of allowing me to modify to include the allocable share 121 exclusion to each fixed asset being disposed of. Although it doesn't affect bottom lines (because the larger than should be positive and the larger than should be negative net to the correct number)....it could raise a red flag with IRS just because of the way the 8582 shows up.

I've been using ATX 15-20 years so I'm not a newbie. :) 

12 hours ago, joanmcq said:

What are the other assets you are trying to include in personal residence?  Have you tried using bulk disposition?

Yes, I have. Doesn't work because there's 1245 and 1250 property which can't be grouped in bulk dispo. Then, there's the division between land and building too. Thanks for the thought.

• Like 1