ATX Community

NT: Hang In There

jasdlm

I overslept this morning and consequently my son was late for a 7:00 am call for a school activity (albeit only 2 minutes late, but isn't everything magnified right now?); he's at the school with no breakfast and a pocketful of granola bars and a latte (mother of the year right here).  I yelled at my husband this morning for making a coffee mess all over the counter and not cleaning it up or throwing away his trash.  I used a few 4-letter words (which I truly NEVER do), so I think I scared him half to death.  Then I came to the office and thought I was going to break down crying.  This is ridiculous.  I think we don't realize the depths/effects this pace/pressure have on us.

One of my staff members gave me a pep talk which really helped.  'I've worked for you since 2008.  You've never not made it to the finish line.  You've got this.'  I pass this pep talk on to all of you.

We've got this.  10 more days.  Palm Sunday and Easter.  Renewal and rebirth and and incredible amount of Grace.

• Like 11

I agree!  Exhausted.  I have never had so many new clients in one year.  More tax preparers and CPA's are retiring in my area and no new people coming in and replacing them.  New client brought me huge tax return with 27 K1s and 4 Charles Schwab statements totaling 264 pages, marketplace and the list goes on.  I did do a little crying over that then called him and said EXTENSION!!!

And I am so tired of every other TP telling me they didn't get any stimulus!!!

It took ALL my will power to get out of bed this morning and come to my office.  10 more days, 10 more days, 10 more days!!!

Thanks for the encouragement!

• Like 9

Real hugs to you, jasdlm. I'm sorry this is so hard, and seems harder each year since 2020, plus having gone back to the original deadline isn't helping. Do what you can do, feel good about what you have accomplished each day, and don't worry about what will be unfinished. Much of that isn't our fault, and that's what extensions are for.  Come and vent here if it helps where we all understand.

I'm tired, and tired of feeling like I care more about the tax returns than the clients do, and I'm not going to do that any more.  

• Like 12

It appears that we all feel pretty much the same.  I told my husband that I just cannot get motivated today and I am also so far behind with the bookkeeping for his business too.  My entire family will be on extension, as well as several others.  I still don't think we will make it.  I will have help tomorrow and one more helper on Tuesday; but there is only so much that they can do.  More new clients coming in this week.  I actually had a lady crying on the phone because nobody would take her.  I will.  I am all about service, before money.

• Like 9

14 hours ago, jklcpa said:

Real hugs to you, jasdlm. I'm sorry this is so hard, and seems harder each year since 2020, plus having gone back to the original deadline isn't helping. Do what you can do, feel good about what you have accomplished each day, and don't worry about what will be unfinished. Much of that isn't our fault, and that's what extensions are for.  Come and vent here if it helps where we all understand.

I'm tired, and tired of feeling like I care more about the tax returns than the clients do, and I'm not going to do that any more.  

Thank you, Judy.  I really appreciate it.  I had a definite meltdown moment yesterday morning.  Trying to buck up today.  It's so nice to have friends here who understand.  I can't believe I've been haunting this board for almost 20 years!  My gratitude to all of you.  I hope we continue to help each other make it through the season for many years to come.

Doni

• Like 7

After so many years of listening to my family say your clients will not care much if you die or end up in a wheelchair from too many late nights**(a.m.'s), I have decided next season - I am telling them in Dec I am only working 60 hours a week - 10-7 or so not the 80 now!!

I will only get the first couple hundred or so done and the rest will be extensions and they can decide what they want. Stay or look elsewhere.

When they call at night and weekends and I do answer sometimes - they say or "Are you working?" How else would I get the taxes completed?

Most of my simpler ones have left as I don't get them done fast enough and I guess I am not charging enough for the more complicated ones as I keep getting referrals and new ones!

Also have the issue like M - 3 have retired in 100miles.

Not looking forward to the phone calls this week, plus I find I do not do as good or quick work when tired!!

Imagine that!

** some will  :)

Darlene

• Like 7

It's been one of my more challenging years in the 32 that I've been involved in.  One of the main reasons for that: having to wait to complete returns because clients have not provided all the data.  I recognize that normally happens and has happened almost every year.  For some reason, this year it's much more magnified. The other issue, clients providing their tax information late.  Many have dropped off their data after April 1.  I let them know it will be placed on extension "just in case" but I still have that hanging over me.  

With that said, with all that is going on in the world today, I recognize my issues pale in comparison to others.  I'm thankful for all the blessings and know this is just another tax season that is coming to an end.  

• Like 12

I don't think I ever worked 80 hour weeks even many years ago. Maybe some occasional 70 hour weeks.

This year I may have hit 40 hours in a week 3 times and 2 of those weeks were back in January due to year end payroll stuff.

I try to limit my weeks to about 32 hours max.

On 4/9/2022 at 7:02 PM, jklcpa said:

I am not sure I would have any clients left if I applied that rule.

• Like 4

On 4/10/2022 at 9:16 AM, mcb39 said:

I am all about service, before money.

Good in principle, maybe bad in real life.  If you are not earning enough to complete the task well, timely, and without too much physical harm, then it may be a disservice to your customers.

I have clients who do work for others who tell me they cannot afford to keep their computer current, and get upset at a sub $100 annual license fee for software which enables their income stream, say they cannot afford a good backup solution, do not have a spare computer at the ready, etc.  Could be just moaning, but if the truth, they are giving away their time.

"I actually had a lady crying on the phone because nobody would take her"

Could be a reason, maybe they are a PITA, and have washed through many other providers.  As someone long ago said here (not me), new customers at the last moment get the top of the line fee, and if an easy client, maybe a discount to the normal rate over time.

• Like 8

When i talk to clients who have little or no savings for an Emergency, for whom an unexpected $ 500 bill is a big deal.

It reminds me, "You have to take care of yourself first, otherwise who will?

Which means when budgeting set aside something for savings first.

• Like 6

Yes, I am surprised at the amount of clients that make 'big money' that have nothing set aside.  But I'm working on a single person who worked part of the year as an IC, and paid in $3600 in federal estimated taxes before she started working for a salary.  She's paid estimates every year she works as an IC. she lives in a one-room apartment.

Another client making 'big bucks' who I told to keep aside at least 25% to pay SE tax.  She has over $50k in savings and didn't blink an eye when I told her she had to pay over $17k to the IRS.

• Like 2

I have two of those clients who, for whatever reason, listen to us and save 30 cents on every dollar of self employment income. $25,000 tax bill, "Okay can we make bigger estimates this year " few and far between but there are a few. Woman in tears the other day. HER income W-2..$4.1 million need $166,000 over withholding, "Can I make payments". Bite my tongue. 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Medlin Software said:

Good in principle, maybe bad in real life.  If you are not earning enough to complete the task well, timely, and without too much physical harm, then it may be a disservice to your customers.

I have clients who do work for others who tell me they cannot afford to keep their computer current, and get upset at a sub $100 annual license fee for software which enables their income stream, say they cannot afford a good backup solution, do not have a spare computer at the ready, etc.  Could be just moaning, but if the truth, they are giving away their time.

"I actually had a lady crying on the phone because nobody would take her"

Could be a reason, maybe they are a PITA, and have washed through many other providers.  As someone long ago said here (not me), new customers at the last moment get the top of the line fee, and if an easy client, maybe a discount to the normal rate over time.

Believe me, that is not the situation here.  I have more than enough to keep myself and my family comfortable.  I like money as much as the next person, I just say that money is not the most important thing in my business.  I am training a young lady to follow in my footsteps.  We did see the lady who was crying on the phone and she also cried in my office.  She had a legitimate reason as she recently lost her significant other to Covid and his family is affecting her life negatively.  She is gainfully employed and only wants to change preparers because she doesn't trust the one that she and his family used in prior years.  We are going to help her.  I have been in this business for 30 plus years and it has built itself from pencil and paper to an office addition with four active and updated computers; several printers and plenty of supplies.  I preach "having a cushion" and practice what I preach.  We haven't used your software in several years, but are looking at it again because of inquiries. I am not taking on more than my assistant is comfortable with going forward.  My business has always been, and always will be about the Client first.  Thank you for your input.  I totally agree.

• Like 4

This is the first year in a lot of years that clients are driving me absolutely nuts. Gave a lady a list of questions a month ago. Two weeks ago we went through them again without her answering any of them. Today she can't figure out why I haven't gotten the taxes finished. Then she wants me to figure out if her AC replacement would qualify for a tax credit, they added a new section to their house so is that tax deductible? why didn't I deduct their 529 contribution (after 20 minutes the husband quietly admits they didn't make one)? Now she's texting that I should help them find other deductions in their lives.

One lady took an extra $100k over her RMD and she's upset I didn't account for that when I did her estimated taxes.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

I have to keep re-teaching myself not to care more about people's returns than they care themselves. I work hard for my clients, but if they can't get me papers in time they go on extension. Everyone is on extension right now - even clients I think will be finished. If they owe, that's on them, because my deadline is on my tax season letter that goes out the first frimping week of January. I'm not killing myself for people who can't be bothered to take care of themselves let alone me. But I'm mean and ornery and sometimes want to dope-slap my entire client base (not really; it just seems like it).

Keep in mind too that the workman is worth his hire. Charge what you are worth (preaching to myself here, too). 

Yes, I am also seeing a lot more brain-fog cases in general. It's like stupid sauce got added to all the municipal water supplies.  Don't know how my house escaped, but I'll take it!

• Like 7

I'm trying to remember that we've got this ... it's hard when I start the day with an email from a client saying he doesn't believe me OR the IRS information I sent him (re:  he can't take a medical deduction for someone coming to his house and doing his laundry); he is going to do further research, perhaps contact the ADA or the VA, and get back with me.

He's a lovely person, but this is not how I wanted to start my day.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4