ATX Community

NT: You can't make this @$%& up

jasdlm

Most of the time we just need a few pages of those lengthy consolidated 1099s, BUT sometimes we do.  Today I worked on a client who moved back to the states after working abroad for a couple of years.  I had to go through all 65 pages of that tome to pull out the income/gains paid while he was a resident of the state he moved to.  I think the only times we really need the pages of dividends, etc. is for part-year residents of the states.  Of course, there are those call and put options that appear near the end, and the "other info" sheet alerting us to the fact that a PPT K-1 should be in the mix.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Sara EA said:

Most of the time we just need a few pages of those lengthy consolidated 1099s,

You should always look at every page of a lengthy 1099. Sometimes the amounts in the detail are higher than the 1099 amounts for things like bond premium amortization, and sometimes there's a missing basis for a stock sold. Or they might provide a US Gov % for each fund and if that amount is material, you need to know the dividends for just that fund.

• Like 5

Personal 1099's.

We have three regular accounts with Fidelity.  The interesting fact about the 1099's we receive is the difference.  The downloaded 1099 is different from what is sent in the mail.  The downloaded 1099 shows a breakdown of the dividends, but the mailed version just shows totals!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

You should always look at every page of a lengthy 1099. Sometimes the amounts in the detail are higher than the 1099 amounts for things like bond premium amortization, and sometimes there's a missing basis for a stock sold. Or they might provide a US Gov % for each fund and if that amount is material, you need to know the dividends for just that fund.

Or, like the one I got yesterday ... a 1099 Misc on page 9 with $9k in oil royalties!  Why don't they put that close to the front!!!  I do look at every page, but when something like that happens, I get a little anxiety attack thinking about how I could have missed it.  For some reason, the same thing happens to me every time there's a number in Box 10 (dependent care) of the W2.  I missed one in my early days of practicing and Client got a notice of tax due, of course.  I paid the interest/penalty, client paid the tax, I apologized, and I still do that client's return (kids are long grown), but I've been anxious about that box every since ;).  Sometimes it slides over to the far left of the W2 and is easy for tired eyes to miss.  For a few years, I made myself initial every box 10 on every W2 (even for people with no or grown kids) just so I could sleep ;).  

• Like 3