ATX Community

Amending twice

ILLMAS

Last year I amended a return for a TP that wanted to include their son, I just realized I did not change the filing status from single to head of household, can I amend again to change the filing status?   Son is an adult (in their 30's), TP provides all the support and son lives with TP.

Thanks

• Like 1

Sure.  The only thing you cannot do is go from joint to separate after the due date.  I read somewhere that you cannot e-file to change filing status, but I'm not sure if that's correct.  In general, you can e-file three amendments - after that, they must be paper.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, KATHERINE said:

30?  Is that too old to be qualified kid for HOH status?  Is the kid disabled?  Thank you!

If adult child isn't a qualifying child but does meet all the tests to be a qualifying relative that the taxpayer can claim as a dependent, is related to TP, and who lives with the TP more than 1/2 of the tax year, then that QR would be a qualifying person that would allow the TP to use HOH. See this snip of Table 4 from Pub 501 below:

1017031864_QualPersonforHOH.thumb.jpg.dfce1e96c3321322fb13197103fe5ec1.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/5/2022 at 9:37 AM, KATHERINE said:

30?  Is that too old to be qualified kid for HOH status?  Is the kid disabled?  Thank you!

Age doesn't have anything with HOH, neither does disability. Disability plays a roll for EIC. 

• Like 2