ATX Community

Spoofed Phone Number

Lee B

I just received a phone call. My Caller ID said "State of Oregon" so I answered the phone.

The person calling said they were from the Century Link,  a regional phone company.

So I asked her why does my Caller ID say, "State Of Oregon" when you say you're from Century Link?

She abruptly hung up, scammers are getting more creative!☹️

• Like 3

I get calls from CT CSS which, if accurate, would be CT's Child Support Services. It's on my biz line, so I picked up the first time. (I have some child/minor clients, parents going through divorces, and others that might need me to copy them on their W-2s/tax returns/whatever in my possession for some custody or whatever reasons.) Now I ignore it. My favorites, though, are the ones that spoof my own name.

• Like 2

I don't think this is new.  For years, spam calls have registered on my caller id as numerous local business names, AT&T, names of numerous clients' employers just like when they called from their office phones (General Motors, Toyota, Lear, Siemens, etc.), individual names, Citizens Bank (where my business account is located), CSC Southfield (Southfield being the city neighboring the one I live in), various city & states, non-local business names, Americenters, and two local hospitals.  

8 hours ago, Slippery Pencil said:

I don't think this is new.  For years, spam calls have registered on my caller id as numerous local business names, AT&T, names of numerous clients' employers just like when they called from their office phones (General Motors, Toyota, Lear, Siemens, etc.), individual names, Citizens Bank (where my business account is located), CSC Southfield (Southfield being the city neighboring the one I live in), various city & states, non-local business names, Americenters, and two local hospitals.  

It's not new, it's old.  It's been happening for a long time now.  Those scammers will utilize any means possible to scam successfully.