ATX Community

Are you able to get through to PPL?

BulldogTom

I made over a dozen calls between 4/29/22 and 5/04/22.  Mostly mornings.  Finally, I had the opportunity to get a call back.  Everything until then was the "due to high call volume [you can't even hold and wait for us to answer]." 

I don't know what changed, but my call that got awarded a call back was at 11:05 am on Wednesday, May 4.  The call back was at 11:35 a.m.  

• Like 3

IRS called me back.   They have no idea what the problem is with the client tax return.   Somehow the computer could not process the efiled return (but CA computers were able to...hmmm) and they sent the return to the error resolution department.   That department has done nothing.   IRS agent could not see what caused the return to be sent to error resolution.   No letters generated, nothing they can see...just sent over to that department and sitting there for over 60 days. 

I wonder if IRS can't match up the supporting documents because they shredded them?  Not being political, just wondering if this is the issue.

Tom
Longview, TX

• Like 3

"The IRS called me back............"

The exact same scenario for my own return!  Did nothing and are now still doing nothing.  "Did you receive our letter?  No.  Oh, we didn't send one.  We will get back to you in 30 days."

• Like 2

On 5/18/2022 at 1:32 PM, BulldogTom said:

I wonder if IRS can't match up the supporting documents because they shredded them? 

Could indeed be a reason for non-match of documents, and I don't see it being a political comment to refer to public statements of fact regarding actions taken by the IRS.  It's not even political to rant about how much of a royal PITA it's going to be for us, dealing with the repercussions of their actions.  (We'll probably get asked to provide proofs from client docs like mortgage statements and more, that were sent in and destroyed.  My state does this all the time with withholding for state pensions; they pay the funds, they withhold the state tax, then demand the taxpayer prove that the state withheld the tax by sending in 1099-R forms with the state tax withheld amount highlighted.  I swear, if these people had a clue, they'd be dangerous...)

• Like 3

On 5/18/2022 at 1:32 PM, BulldogTom said:

IRS agent could not see what caused the return to be sent to error resolution.   No letters generated, nothing they can see...just sent over to that department and sitting there for over 60 days.

I wonder if IRS can't match up the supporting documents because they shredded them?  Not being political, just wondering if this is the issue.

Were you able to resolve this with the agent so that the return will now be processed?

Were there items of income or deduction on the return that would have been filed with IRS on paper 1099s.  Remember, only paper-filed documents were shredded, not anything electronic.

Does the return have items that the IRS may be waiting to verify with outside sources that may not have been filed yet such as IRA or HSA contribution made before 4/15/22 for 2021 that would be on a form 5498, or something like excessive federal withholding on a W-2 that would be filed with SSA?  Maybe something else that is not within an acceptable parameter to the IRS?

We're all just guessing at this point, and I'm concerned that the agent couldn't tell you why this return was held up.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jklcpa said:

Were you able to resolve this with the agent so that the return will now be processed?

Were there items of income or deduction on the return that would have been filed with IRS on paper 1099s.  Remember, only paper-filed documents were shredded, not anything electronic.

Does the return have items that the IRS may be waiting to verify with outside sources that may not have been filed yet such as IRA or HSA contribution made before 4/15/22 for 2021 that would be on a form 5498, or something like excessive federal withholding on a W-2 that would be filed with SSA?  Maybe something else that is not within an acceptable parameter to the IRS?

We're all just guessing at this point, and I'm concerned that the agent couldn't tell you why this return was held up.

No resolution.   The return is a single taxpayer, no dependents, one W2, standard deduction and PTC (one of the easiest returns we did last year).   I offered to send the W2 showing the withholding and the 1095A for the PTC calculation, but the agent on the phone insisted she could do nothing since the return was in error correction and she could not pull it back to her for resolution.  She could not "see" what the issue was, so all she could do is refer to her supervisor and error correction department for information.   She was very polite, but her hands were tied.   She says when they send out the referral, they usually get something back within 30 days.

It is concerning that PPL cannot tell us why they return was held up.   There ain't much in the return that could be incorrect.   And as I said, the CA return flew through and the CA refund was processed timely.  The W2 is from a smaller company, so maybe the employer sent it in on paper.   Possibly shredded?  That is my best guess.

So we wait....hoping someone answers the referral.

Tom
Longview, TX

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/20/2022 at 5:06 PM, BulldogTom said:

No resolution.   The return is a single taxpayer, no dependents, one W2, standard deduction and PTC (one of the easiest returns we did last year).   I offered to send the W2 showing the withholding and the 1095A for the PTC calculation, but the agent on the phone insisted she could do nothing since the return was in error correction and she could not pull it back to her for resolution.  She could not "see" what the issue was, so all she could do is refer to her supervisor and error correction department for information.   She was very polite, but her hands were tied.   She says when they send out the referral, they usually get something back within 30 days.

It is concerning that PPL cannot tell us why they return was held up.   There ain't much in the return that could be incorrect.   And as I said, the CA return flew through and the CA refund was processed timely.  The W2 is from a smaller company, so maybe the employer sent it in on paper.   Possibly shredded?  That is my best guess.

So we wait....hoping someone answers the referral.

Tom
Longview, TX

UPDATE:  Issue resolved.   Taxpayer got her refund yesterday.   No notice or letter from IRS as to why the delay, just sent the money to her account.

Tom
Longview, TX

• Like 4

Have you tried Tax Advocate? but that takes 4 weeks to process the 911 form (someone had a sense of humour! )

Or even better - have the client call them direct - they do not have to send a form in..

One called and was told their refund was held up in the Check Mailing Dept! Seems they are short staffed there.. It was for retention credit.

We try to get them to do direct deposit but some insist on checks.. and now that is broke as well - short staffed - she said.

• Like 1