ATX Community

"Where's My Refund" Expanded

Lee B

"IR-2022-109, May 25, 2022

WASHINGTON – The Internal Revenue Service made an important enhancement to the “Where’s My Refund?” online tool this week, introducing a new feature that allows taxpayers to check the status of their current tax year and two previous years’ refunds.

Taxpayers can select any of the three most recent tax years to check their refund status. They’ll need their Social Security number or ITIN, filing status and expected refund amount from the original filed tax return for the tax year they’re checking.

Previously, “Where’s My Refund?” only displayed the status of the most recently filed tax return within the past two tax years. Information available to those calling the refund hotline will be limited to the 2021 tax return."

Something actually useful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Another useful thing:  A taxpayer can go to irs.gov and request a transcript be mailed to him.  Very easy process, and I don't mind doing it for them while they read and approve entries, because let's be honest, they have trouble with everything, or we wouldn't need a transcript, and I need the correct document and year(s).  They get the transcript by USPS in a few days.  This is a good solution for me.  Won't work well if they've moved, as one of the entries is mailing address on last filed return.

irs.gov  ➡️  Get Your Tax Record ➡️  Alternative to Requesting a Transcript Online

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1