ATX Community

IRS implements new fingerprinting process for e-file

Patrick Michael

From Accounting Today:

IRS implements new fingerprinting process for e-file

The Internal Revenue Service is planning to mandate a new electronic fingerprinting process for e-file applications for tax practitioners starting Sept. 25.

In an email Wednesday to tax professionals, the IRS said individuals would be required to use an IRS-authorized vendor for fingerprinting. Each new principal and responsible official listed on a new e-file application or added to an existing application needing fingerprints will need to schedule an appointment with the IRS authorized vendor. 

The cutoff date to mail paper fingerprint cards (Form FD-258) to the IRS is Aug. 15, 2022. The fingerprints cards also need to be postmarked by August by that same date, and the application has to be submitted prior to mailing the fingerprint cards. 

The IRS won’t process fingerprint cards postmarked after Aug. 15, 2022, the agency warned. In addition, customers needing fingerprints will need to wait until Sept. 25 to schedule an electronic fingerprinting appointment. On Sept. 25, 2022, they can schedule an appointment by accessing the scheduling link located on the e-file application summary page. 

Instructions for scheduling an appointment will be provided upon submitting an e-file application and on IRS.gov. The IRS plans to provide additional information about the new fingerprinting process on Sept. 25. The Become an Authorized e-file Provider page on IRS.gov will offer the most up-to-date information.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cbslee said:

I may be wrong but after reading the article several times, I get the impression that this applies to new applications or the additional of new principals

to a current application.

I'd imagine it would also apply for anyone who is non-licensed and hasn't been fingerprinted previously? CPAs and EAs were fingerprinted to get licensed iirc.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been fingerprinted multiple times and maybe I'm wrong but I thought you needed it submitted to do the EA background check which is performed AFTER you pass the test. I did the EA 17 years ago so maybe they no longer do that or with my memory maybe they never did.

I've had to submit fingerprinting for the securities regulators multiple times so maybe that's what I'm remembering.

• Like 2

My EA certificate is dated 2005, meaning I would've taken the test and filled out the application the fall of 2004. I don't remember getting fingerprinted.

I might have gotten fingerprinted in the early 1970's when I applied for a job at a public school. I'm not sure, but I do remember that I had to go to the county courthouse for something to do with a background check. I didn't have a driver's license back then (rode a bicycle and took busses), so maybe I just had to show up in person to be interviewed.