ATX Community

Hair Dresser Tip Income - Sole Proprietor

Yardley CPA

3 hours ago, Yardley CPA said:

MFJ client.  Wife is a sole proprietor, hair dresser.  Please confirm my understanding that tips she receives are included as part of her gross income?  

Yes, and my honest clients include it in their books as income.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Yardley CPA said:

MFJ client.  Wife is a sole proprietor, hair dresser.  Please confirm my understanding that tips she receives are included as part of her gross income?  

Gosh, Yardley; that's a tough one.  Finally though, a question that doesn't require exhaustive research by the estate/trust wizards hereabouts.  I believe IRS has already ruled for the prosecution ("yea").

However, many hair-doers as well as other independent contractors feel it's a subjective question open to debate .  Lots tend to be "agin" while I'm obliged to argue "fer" and the damages are occasionally brutal (for both).   

"Such is life"; as the old man used to say.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Those that properly reported all earnings were better off getting Covid relief, compared to those who are/were skimming. Same for those who want to show full income for things such as a home loan.

Also, I usually mention things like not having artificially low earning years with SSA in case they or theirs need disability, survivors, or retirement payments.

Written as I get ready to take our DD to her hair person this afternoon.

• Like 3