ATX Community

SS Inquiry regarding W2 from 1992

Lee B

I have a business client for whom I have done all of their Accounting, Payroll and Tax Work since the middle of 1993.

One of the owners just received a letter from the SSA wanting verification of his 1992 W 2 information.

Are you kidding me? Very few people keep documents from 30 years ago.

I wonder if they will remove the 1992 earning from his 35 year earnings history?

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

On 7/8/2022 at 9:24 PM, cbslee said:

I have a business client for whom I have done all of their Accounting, Payroll and Tax Work since the middle of 1993.

One of the owners just received a letter from the SSA wanting verification of his 1992 W 2 information.

Are you kidding me? Very few people keep documents from 30 years ago.

I wonder if they will remove the 1992 earning from his 35 year earnings history?

Have you determined that this is a real inquiry?  Why would SSA wait 30 years to contact the person, and was there something extraordinary about that year's earnings compared to the others?  

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, jklcpa said:

Why would SSA wait 30 years to contact the person

SSA contacted me about a possible duplicate W2 from the early 90s when I applied for SS. Unfortunately, I had shredded all my tax returns from 1972 forward and didn't consider scanning them before shredding because I had the last 20 years in PDF form.

I had switched jobs with the same company and it's quite possible they did give me two W2 forms for one year and the total income seemed about right as well, so they allowed the extra W2 to be part of my earnings record.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jklcpa said:

Have you determined that this is a real inquiry?  Why would SSA wait 30 years to contact the person, and was there something extraordinary about that year's earnings compared to the others?  

My client turns 70 next month, so at this moment I am assuming that it was triggered by his applying for SS, like what happened to Abby.

Still waiting for a copy of the letter.

• Like 3

Nah, not really intentional, just an old file cabinet that got moved around and never emptied out. 

I have an old desk with stuff from my youth too. I found a very funny short story that I wrote at about age 8 entitled "The Story of My Life" 😄 and also some things and writings from my father too. ❤️  Now those things are very precious and glad I still have them.

• Like 6

22 hours ago, schirallicpa said:

I have all my tax returns from when I first got married.  I was always going to put the AGIs and tax liab on a spreadsheet -oops -the accounting nerd in me is showing.

Mine go back to my first return in high school.  Pertinent info from each year is entered on a s/s.  So, I guess I'm a super-nerd. :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, kathyc2 said:

Mine go back to my first return in high school.  Pertinent info from each year is entered on a s/s.  So, I guess I'm a super-nerd. :)

Yep, my first ones were during high school too.  Not a big deal since it was only 2 sheets of paper per year for many of the early years - one for federal, one for state.

I can't claim super-nerd status as I don't have any spreadsheets.  😆

• Like 2