ATX Community

CA estate questions

grandmabee

I have an Oregon estate.  The beneficiary is CA resident and the Personal rep of the estate is also a CA resident.

No source income from CA.  Only income is from sale of property in the state of WA sale of some assets from the estate.( cars, guns, etc.)

Am I reading this correctly that I still have to file the CA 541 because of the Personal rep and beneficiary is CA residents?   TIA

From the 541 Instructions:

C. Who Must File

Do not file Form 541 if there are no California fiduciaries, California noncontingent beneficiaries, or California sourced income.

Nonresidents or Part-year Residents. See the instructions for Schedule G, California Source Income and Deduction Apportionment, on page 15. Also, get FTB Pub. 1100, Taxation of Nonresidents and Individuals Who Change Residency.

Decedent’s Estate. The fiduciary (or one of the fiduciaries) must file Form 541 for a decedent’s estate if any of the following apply:

Gross income for the taxable year of more than $10,000 (regardless of the amount of net income)

Net income for the taxable year of more than $1,000

An alternative minimum tax liability

Tom
Longview, TX