ATX Community

IRS stimulus snafu

diligentbiz

I heard something about IRS errors with some stimulus payments on the radio this morning. This announcer said about 15,000 refunds were affected. Given the number of payments being made and the speed with which this was done, I'm sure there will be glitches. But it remains to be seen if the number of foul-ups rises to the level of a major problem.

My greater concern is con artists who will exploit the gullible & greedy because so many people seem to have a special place in their hearts for "free" money. If news of rebate payments mistakes becomes widespread, we can expect another rash of bogus emails and phone calls trying to sucker people into giving up confidential info.

350,000 glitches. Chances are this has already been posted:

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Internal Revenue Service says up to 350,000 households didn't get their $300 per child refund that should have been part of their economic stimulus rebate checks.

The tax agency says human error and computer glitches were responsible for the problem affecting a tiny percentage of the 130 million taxpayers expected to benefit from the paybacks.

The agency plans to mail out checks in July to those who missed out on the child refund.

©2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

So now they're saying it's not the IRS at all, it's the TPs fault -

"He said the problem on the child payments was traced to taxpayers' failing to check a box on their paper tax returns and to two commercial tax preparation software programs, less than 1 percent of those in use, that were not capturing the information needed to trigger the payment."

Of course, given all the problems we've had, my first thought is WHICH commercial programs?? Not ATX, thank god, but one of them is a CCH company:

"The majority of the tax software issues involve commercial versions used by tax professionals and tax preparers. Included are Petz Enterprises’ professional and on-line software as well as ProSystems fx Tax software and on-line CompleteTax software from CCH."