ATX Community

Remote Access Vendor

JohnH

A client and I want to set up remote access for me to access their computer from time-to-time (not continuously).  Their computer and mine are stand-alone devices (not networked, etc).  Neither of us knows how to make a good decision, although we are looking at Splashtop Business Access at the moment. Is anyone familiar with this provider, or are there other providers we should consider?  

(I like to save money, but at the same time I don't want to sacrifice security, features, or convenience for price.  So part of my hesitation is that this service only costs $100/year).

Splashtop is what I use.  I was an early adopter.  IIRC, the developers formerly worked for one of the 800lb providers, the ones with the 1k plus fee. They elected a pay as you go (annual) fee rather than the large one time per version fee.

Practical issues.  The connection process is easy.  The display or displays on the remote end are good.  Security is good as well.

• Like 2

You may find you use it more than you think.  I have a main computer and a couple of backups.  To access the main, I can use my phone (like now) as it I were sitting at the main.  I can access any of the backups from any other computer.

My main happens to be upstairs, and I don't always want to walk upstairs (or get our of the pool or hot tub!) for something I can easily do remotely.

Similar for traveling, I bring my main, but I can leave the main securely locked up and access remotely, and I can access my backups if the main were to fail or walk away.

I am about to switch to a new main, and while the bulk of the file transfer is done via direct connection, there are always remnants I find over the next several months, which are easily moved via ST...

The ease of the other party to allow the connection, and watch what you do, works well for me when I need to provide remote support

• Like 2

Another quick question about Splashtop, since I've bought it and am already deploying it in ways I hadn't imagined.  Are the default security settings adequate, or are there selections I should make to enhance its security?  Keep in mind I'm using it to access a client's offsite computer to look at Quickbooks files and some Excel files.  

I've also discovered how easy it is to access my own office computers from my Mac (and even from my cell phone, which I wouldn't have even thought to try if you hadn't mentioned that).  All in all, Splashtop has become one of the most interesting & useful things I've run into in a very long time. 

• Like 2

"All connections are protected with TLS and 256-bit AES encryption. Splashtop also comes with top security features including device authentication and two-factor authentication. Plus, Splashtop’s cutting-edge infrastructure provides a secure computing environment with advanced intrusion prevention and firewalls at multiple layers."

In simple form, you control your end's security by using a secure connection, such as firewall, router, and other items.  ST will secure the communication between, and your client approves the access, so you are good.  Me?  I also use a firewalla box to allow redundant connections, and gain security functions on my end.

Being able to use a phone to "run" a desktop/laptop is very freeing.  Some will say it chains you to work, but I say it frees one to work from anywhere.  Couples with multiple cell carriers and starlink, I do work from anywhere.  My most favorite is processing orders while dining in a hall on Ellis Island.  I imagined those who came through before, being amazed at the progress.

• Like 2

I like the Ellis Island thought.  

I'm with you on the "freeing" aspect of being able to use the phone.  I don't like to return from a vacation or any kind of trip with a stack of snakes & alligators on my desk - often little menial items that distract from the important things that REALLY need attention.  Being able to handle simple tasks while traveling has always been a more relaxing way for me to be away.

When using the phone to access the computer, have you ever connected it to a tv to get a larger display?