ATX Community

Update Your Apple Devices

Lee B

SAN FRANCISCO — "Apple disclosed serious security vulnerabilities for iPhones, iPads and Macs that could potentially allow attackers to take complete control of these devices.

Apple released two security reports about the issue on Wednesday, although they didn't receive wide attention outside of tech publications.

Apple's explanation of the vulnerability means a hacker could get "full admin access" to the device. That would allow intruders to impersonate the device's owner and subsequently run any software in their name, said Rachel Tobac, CEO of SocialProof Security.

Ransomware attacks are hitting small businesses. These are experts' top defense tips

Security experts have advised users to update affected devices — the iPhone6S and later models; several models of the iPad, including the 5th generation and later, all iPad Pro models and the iPad Air 2; and Mac computers running MacOS Monterey. The flaw also affects some iPod models.

Apple did not say in the reports how, where or by whom the vulnerabilities were discovered. In all cases, it cited an anonymous researcher."

• Thanks 2

The only thing my iPhone6 is offering to update is Facebook, and it can't. I have Automatic Updates on. My iPhone 6 says iOS 12.5.5. Hubby's iPhone11 says 15.X.X. How do I get security updates for myiPhone6?

The NYC news (either CBS or NBC) had the story last night to update your iPhones from iPhone6 on, so I went to update when I got up this morning. (We were watching from bed. Hubby's iPhone was charging on his end table, and he was using his iPad, so he updated both last night.)

• Like 1

According to their list, the latest security update for iOS 12 was 12.5.5 released September 2021.  You said you had an iPhone 6, but the release from Apple says the issue affects the iPhone 6S and newer.  If you really only have the 6, it may not be affected.

The Security update for iOS / iPadOS 15 is version 15.6.1 if you want to double check your husband's devices.

EDIT: The information on that first link does say that 15.6.1 is available for the iPhone 6S.  That, along with your iOS version being 12.5.5 tells me you do have an iPhone 6 (not 6S), and will not get (or need) the security update.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2022 at 5:51 PM, Lion EA said:

Wait, wait. So the iPhone 6S is newer than my iPhone 6? And, I won't need the security update? Or, I DO need a security update due to recent activities, but my phone is too old to get it?

The 6S is newer than your 6, and Apple's release says only the 6S and newer is affected.

There is the possibility that since the iPhone 6 is "stuck" on iOS 12, it never received version of iOS that was vulnerable in the first place.

Nope, not the case, they just took their time fixing the bug in iOS 12 and patched it weeks later.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2022 at 7:30 PM, Lion EA said:

It did do a security update 8/17/2022. I'm nursing it through until the next version comes out.

Apple just released iOS 12.5.6 on August 31. This patches the same serious vulnerability that they had previously patched in newer versions of iOS.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213428

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/09/apple-releases-rare-ios-12-update-to-patch-zero-day-webkit-vulnerability/

• Like 2

Thanks for the heads up, Eric.  My regular phone is an iPhone 8, but I keep my old iPhone 6 as a backup (just in case my 8 goes missing, I can keep operating without any delay while I replace the 8).  I tried an update on the 6 when the update was first discussed and I was updating the 8, but the 6 it said it was up to date.  Sure enough, after reading this info from the last day or so, I ran a software update on the 6 this morning and it did download an update to version 12.5.6 (16H71).

• Like 2