ATX Community

What happens at a boring tax seminar....

Elrod

I have found the self study seminars to be the most helpful, because you have to take and pass a test in order to get credit.

Online webinars where you have click a button or answer a multiple choice question every 15 minutes are  acceptable at best.

Sitting in an uncomfortable chair trying to pay attention is definitely at the bottom.

I used attend an excellent all day Federal Tax update put on by the OSCPA every year in January, but they have raised the fee to well over $ 400!

• Like 1

Actually I rather like the online seminars.  Because they are required and we need the credits, we have to attend.  Online is preferable to in person because it eliminates the cost of travel, lodging, meals, etc.  On the other hand, you don't get much of a break for staying in your office.  I think they are overpriced, to say the least.  However, I feel, and have always felt, that if I come away with at least one new piece of knowledge that will help one or more problems; it was worth it.  And then, there is the additional reference materials that greatly assist in the course of the tax season.  I have been attending the same tax course since 2009 and am comfortable with it.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, mcb39 said:

I think they are overpriced, to say the least.

I think the unlimited subscription has the best bang for the buck.  Most you can do self study, webinar, etc.  A word of caution.  Some have in small print that they will auto renew the next year.  You need to set a reminder on your calendar to cancel that before it happens. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2022 at 6:40 PM, Lion EA said:

And, it's always too hot or too cold.

It's usually BOTH too hot and too cold, alternating!

I bring crocheting or embroidery to live seminars. The hand-work is enough to keep me awake but not mind-needy enough to keep me from listening. And if something really needs concentration, I just stop moving my hands for a while. I make these adorable thread-crochet clothespin angels that take about two hours each. I can get three done easily in one one-day seminar, with plenty of breaks!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1