ATX Community

Bookkeeping software

M7047

Hello,

I'm looking for software to enter "after the fact" receipts for a few clients.  Need to also be able to get P/L statements. Don't need payroll.  I've been using quickbooks and like their checkbook entry, but they're getting out of hand price wise.  Also want a desktop version not online, as our internet can be out some days. Anyone have any recommendations?

I am sure there are many good choices.  A few will not require online activity.

Even us dinosaurs are crawling to an online component.  In my case, for our payroll, we will be offering online data storage - not live data usage.  The reason?  as computers have become appliances, the users do not have experience or training the the computer use aspect, and often neglect backups.  There even seems to be an expectation the software will protect the user from themself, and automatically make backups.  This is a big change from the "keep your 'hands' off my data of years ago.

My accounting and receivables remains desktop/laptop only, (local use), although the user can securely store data online via our backup function.

• Like 1

Gets your hands on a older version of QB, I have client that is still using 2010 version.

Has anyone here actually installed a very early version of QB on a Win10 computer?

When I purchased my current computer at the end of 2016, I could not get QB Pro 2011 to install, so I'm now with the 2017 desktop version but still have the 2011 software disks & license code.

• Like 1

I still use QB 2003 desktop on my Win10 computer.   I have the install key so every time I change computers I can re-install without QB knowing about it.   I turn off the internet when I install, turn off automatic updates within QB, and then turn the internet back on.   Never checks for updates, never changes anything about how it works.   I don't use it for payroll, just my own bookkeeping.   No hiccups.  Never an issue.  Intuit can bite me, I am not paying for a new version every year that does nothing more for me.

Tom
Longview, TX 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Medlin Software, Dennis said:

.  .  .  .

My accounting and receivables remains desktop/laptop only, (local use), although the user can securely store data online via our backup function.

I  have taken an in depth look at Dennis's accounting software several times and It will do everything that you need at a very reasonable price.

The only reason I don't use it is that I need more flexibility in COA and Financial Statement Design for my larger clients.

I am very pleased with his payroll software and support, which I have used for over 3 years now.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, cbslee said:

I  have taken an in depth look at Dennis's accounting software several times and It will do everything that you need at a very reasonable price.

The only reason I don't use it is that I need more flexibility in COA and Financial Statement Design for my larger clients.

I am very pleased with his payroll software and support, which I have used for over 3 years now.

Thanks for the kind words.  Our Accounting does not have options for what most would call "department" accounting.  All totals and percentages are on the whole, not split among different cost centers, locations, etc.  Goes back to the 80's, with KISS.  Program for the 90%, not make things complicated for the 90%.  The reality is, programming for the 10% with complicated needs then becomes the driving force, with updates, support, and having to recover those costs across all customers.  Same for our Payroll.  I get asked often for strange things, rare things, or even custom things, which I say no thank you.

As of Sep 1, 2022, our license for Accounting is a one time permanent license...

• Like 3

Just now, NECPA in NEBRASKA said:

I use Dennis's accounting program and it does a great job for trial balances, etc. I only use them for my tax return workpapers, since I got out of preparing financials for my clients years ago. 

Thanks for the kind words.  Made me think.  What I see trending is many don't prepare their own accounting.  They rely on their bank electronic records to be read into their accountant's (or their own) software.  Years ago, a certain company tried and failed to become the defacto data format standard.  The last time I looked into it, there was still no workable "free" format commonly in use.  Thus, the big company sort of won by default, as they can force, through their accountant's telling their clients what to do (imagine that!), to only use certain software.  That company can also charge enough to be able to pay commissions (for those of a certain age, payola is the term) to banks for using their format, and via that incentive, not offering other formats.

I also hear from accountant types who hate being forced to use the one program, but their clients provide data in that format, so they give in.  Most of our accounting software customers either DIY completely, or they give their accountant/preparer end of year reports for figures (which makes sense, as the accountant/preparer likely does not need detail, unless they are auditing).

In our own case, we give the eoy company GL to the tax preparer.  They do not ask for or expect every transaction record.  For the bookkeeping, I use the bank statement, since we have so few non electronic transactions these days.  The odd check received (such as one from yesterday, a "dividend" from our WC provider, I have to take note of so I don't include them as income...  I do not even break down the sub totals to individual transactions any more, but I keep the statements with the monthly GL just in case.  So my monthly is < 20 entries... but I know I am an exception.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BulldogTom said:

I still use QB 2003 desktop on my Win10 computer.   I have the install key so every time I change computers I can re-install without QB knowing about it.   I turn off the internet when I install, turn off automatic updates within QB, and then turn the internet back on.   Never checks for updates, never changes anything about how it works.   I don't use it for payroll, just my own bookkeeping.   No hiccups.  Never an issue.  Intuit can bite me, I am not paying for a new version every year that does nothing more for me.

Tom
Longview, TX 

Ugh, I thought this was brilliant. I have a 2009 version with the license key. I tried doing what you suggested, but even with the internet off, I still get this message once I try to open it. I've even tried to run compatibility with windows 7 and still nothing. Tried looking up the code and it's just basically telling you it's not compatible with windows 10. Funny thing, I had this working on windows 10 but had to get a new hard drive, and now it wont cooperate...:(

image.png.57834ba0eaa7255708e895fc00ab9734.png

Compatibility with different Windows versions.  The error above, to me, looks like some sort of "unhandled" or unexpected error, one where the programmers did not build in a graceful exit.  These are usually caused by using "undocumented" features in Windows, such as non public API calls (guilty in the past, never again).  The other usual cause is simply bad data, such as something causing a divide by zero (which most programmers catch, unless the data file is actually corrupted).

The error above is not likely a no internet issue at all.  Compatibility work arounds are unlikely to work either (if it is an API issue for example).

But, as tax preparers, unless you are grey area (not signing the forms in any manner, preparing "for" the client to sign and submit), you likely fall under the IRS "security and privacy" rules.  With that being the case, using ANY outdated and/or abandoned/unsupported software is likely a violation of the terms you have to agree to follow. (Food for thought only, not an opinion on said rules.)

(Oddly, I have far too much experience being asked for help with the products of others... Back when we offered phone support, I was often asked because the other company had no free phone support.  Now, it is because I answer every message as best I can, even for software of others within time constraints.)

image.thumb.png.8103ec2bfb0a0c29964b581c81a0a4ad.png

• Like 1

@Dennis. I truly appreciate you taking the time to give me input, but I can't open anything on this stupid program. It never gets to that point. I've tried to open backup files from a hard drive but it wont open those either. As soon as I try to open quickbooks, this is the message I get and it never goes beyond it to try anything else. UAC was down to never.

I listened to a recent podcast where the host was discussing Quickbooks Desktop.

He said that he had noticed that Intuit has included unannounced "kill features" in their updates this summer

so that if you don't pay for the next year, your version of Quickbboks Desktop will stop working.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, M7047 said:

@Dennis. I truly appreciate you taking the time to give me input, but I can't open anything on this stupid program. It never gets to that point. I've tried to open backup files from a hard drive but it wont open those either. As soon as I try to open quickbooks, this is the message I get and it never goes beyond it to try anything else. UAC was down to never.

The software is actually opening, but fails shortly thereafter, with some sort of memory issue.  They have a catch all handler, with the 8 digit error message, but since it was an "unexpected" error, they close the software, instead of repairing the issue, deleting the data causing the issue, or some other more graceful action.

In my case, I handle unexpected errors, such as a memory corruption due to bad data, via a more graceful (that is the intent anyway) message.

While I am not fond of such things, there can be reasons to kill off software.  We are talking about what most would call data which needs to be kept secure and private... and in no way, can an abandoned OS be considered secure.  I know for sure I have a few old timers using a DOS based version, as I still get asked if they can update (not since about 1999).

Economics 101.  Online cloud based software is cheaper for the maker.  Why?  They do not have to support the endless updates and personal issues on their user's hardware.  The SaaS either works on their hardware or it does not.  No install or removal support issues, etc.  Local install software has an exponentially higher cost of support, as you are forced to support dealing with things like faulty "security" software (all "security" software but a select few are over zealous and faulty, as a means to get their fee from their users).  If I had 1$ from every time I had to help someone with their choice of "security" software...  Or supporting folks when their computer "expert" wiped out their data.

--

To continue rambling... For me, I am getting more "in your face" with forcing backups (secure online, no extra cost), as I am tired of being blamed for user error (no backup, bad human actions).  Likely in a year or two after, there will just be backups made, with zero interaction (of course, securely stored) - tough for me to get there now, personal feelings I suppose, which I am working on.  Same with keeping the software current.  Will start requiring keeping the software current - instead of giving reminders and expecting compliance - as I am tired of being blamed for "letting" someone use outdated payroll calculations.

I don't see having online software as a need, as the data entry is just too darn slow.  Same with the voice entry as discussed in another thread!  I can see having all at rest data securely stored online (along with a local copy for connectivity issue situations).  Will always keep the option to have date only be local, as some don't want their data, even if securely scrambled, online.  Those folks are less and less every day, as even the least tech person is nearly always "connected" now.  (For me Starlink was the missing piece I needed.  Even when there is a wide power issue or fiber issue, they have good ground station redundancy, and more birds by the month.)

1 minute ago, M7047 said:

How do you stop them. I'm going to get a newer version and don't want to fall into that trap either.

If you do not trust your software vendor, you are likely using the wrong software vendor... You cannot stop the vendor from adding something, since it could be tied in with something you have to have... The issue, as I have been told countless times, is some are forced to Intuit for reasons they cannot control.  I was just writing with a likely now not former customer, who was wanting to switch because their accountant told them they would only take data from Intuit backups.  Since it was a long time customer of mine, I was bold and asked who works for who(m)?, and it is entirely possible for any accountant/provider to take an EOY ledger to get figures from, with only one figure per account needing to be entered... by the accountant/provider's likely low wage data entry person.  Even for once a month, one figure per account is not too much to ask of a service provider to bang on their keyboard.  There are plenty of provider's looking for work that do not require pre formatted data so they can import, print, and bill.  Some (like all here) actually review the data for "looks out of place" issues.

• Like 3

On 9/15/2022 at 11:47 AM, jklcpa said:

Has anyone here actually installed a very early version of QB on a Win10 computer?

When I purchased my current computer at the end of 2016, I could not get QB Pro 2011 to install, so I'm now with the 2017 desktop version but still have the 2011 software disks & license code.

Not on Win10, but when I move to Win8, you had to find the install file for just QB because the CD tries to install older versions of various supplementary programs that QB relies on, and those installs failed.

• Like 1

I use Quicken 10 (a stripped-down version of QB) for all of my Bookkeeping clients.; including myself.  When I had payroll clients, I used Medlin and have recommended it to so many small businesses.

The reason I say Quicken 10 is that in 2011, they started with the update junk.   Renew every year etc.  For 10, I have a disk and it works perfectly with windows versions back to XP (in my experience).  It is simple checkbook style entry and prints out the most beautiful and varied reports that you could ever want.  It reconciles your checkbook if you want to do that.  You can have more than one account under a File; such as Checking and Cash and will bring all the totals together for one report at the end of the year or any other point in time.  Some of you are aware that I have an aversion to Intuit products.  This is the only product of theirs that I have ever or will ever use.  Actually, Quicken 6, which I also have, will work equally well.   I use it for Partnerships, Sole Props; Joint Ventures and any other client who just needs the end of year totals.  My two cents for today!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Personally, as a software author since the 80's, I write at length on software updates, licensing, etc.  But I try not to as no one wants to hear it.  So...

Downloaded from torrent or other grey sources?  Nope.  So easy for a insurer to use to leave you out of pocket for any sort of defense/settlement.  So easy for a judge.jury to find you negligent.  There is plenty of current free software to use if cost is an issue, or free is the desire.

Likely not a good idea to post, in a public forum such as this, about using software which (probably) has not had any security updates in years, was downloaded from a grey source, or (hopefully not the case) is not properly licensed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1