ATX Community

Printer Driver/Issues Reminder

Medlin Software, Dennis

A reminder, which bit me.  For those who need to print accurately, or have any printer issues, remember to install and use the latest driver from the printer manufacturer.  The driver Windows may install automatically is less and less likely to be accurate.

In my case, the Windows installed driver was scaling down and centering.  Not good when I have to print at specific locations to get SSA approval for plain paper W3/W3 forms.

Even with the printer manufacturer driver installed, there still has to be a user adjustment to allow for driver inaccuracies, and for paper handling issues.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

Yes, but don't just use the install CD that comes with your printer, because that will likely install a bunch of utilities you don't need or want. Manually install the driver from the CD if you can find it, or better yet, download it from the manufacturer's website because the one on the CD might be outdated.

Even the download version may have extras... It is tough to just install the driver without paying careful attention. There are also cases where the current driver is not the one, and an older version will work better.

It is the good and bad of having one "control" for the printer, instead of each program having to know and control the various printers.  Escape codes were a real PITA... I had a multi page chart of codes to make various printers do certain things.  Explaining those codes to customers was time consuming, even back then when all who used a computer were experts at using a computer.