ATX Community

does anyone use the medlin a/r program

schirallicpa

As long as Dennis is getting so much attention about the QB questions, I thought I would toss this out there.  I kinda looked at it a few months ago but couldn't get my head around how it would be any more efficient than my excel.  Which turns out was completely inefficient because I have (had) inept staff using it.  And I've posted questions before about how people handle their billing records in this group.  I still haven't come to a conclusion on how I will handle this next year.  Powerball still hasn't come thru for me.

Modern AR is an interesting topic.  The pitfall?  Electronic communication.  Most want/expect it, and few realize how unreliable it is.  Meaning, the "I never saw your bill, so you must not have sent it to me, so you cannot add late charges".  Then there is the expectation of a simple click something to pay, and not to have it be too expensive in fees.  The click to pay inevitably involves a third party to handle the transaction, so there is a 3%+ cost to consider.

Once you decide on how you want to get paid (mail, in person, or some electronic form), THEN you can look for a solution.  If electronic, it will likely narrow down the choices, and raise the cost, and you will learn to have disdain for email, especially free email accounts.  Anything with SMS notices will also be costly.  There is no one cheap means to SMS back and forth, the offerings I have seen have a cost per message.  The clue is if the SMS recipient does not identify carrier, it is going through a hub at a cost.  If the carrier is needed, it MAY be sent free, but there are pitfalls such as incorrect carrier selection, ans messages being cut short.

The least important aspect is the software itself.  Data entry is data entry, printing (if done) is printing.  Decide on your most important needs, and what you are willing to spend, then look for a solution.

My AR software?  Plain AR handling. You can email invoices and statements, but there is no electronic funds handling.  Some use things like PP or similar to collect payments. Still have a fair number of active customers.  But, not enough to warrant major changes, such as trying to add a payment system.  (Plus the worry about added liability if I had any part of moving funds...)

• Like 2

Thank you, Dennis, for your insights.  I think I just need another me.  Really, that would solve my problems.  Maybe 2 more of me.  One that can get dinner ready too.  

I'm not as much worried about the collections process (although there's always a lose one somewhere), as I am the accounting for the billing and collection.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, schirallicpa said:

Thank you, Dennis, for your insights.  I think I just need another me.  Really, that would solve my problems.  Maybe 2 more of me.  One that can get dinner ready too.  

I'm not as much worried about the collections process (although there's always a lose one somewhere), as I am the accounting for the billing and collection.  

One of the things I discovered years ago is (opposite of elected folks) our job is to make it easy to be replaced. I discovered it in volunteer positions, as well as paid. Otherwise, the work you are doing is somewhat pointless. Volunteer wise, I have it down well. Professionally, it is in progress at all times, but hard to actually accept as well as do. 

2 hours ago, cbslee said:

I assume you have an accounting program. Won't it do Accounts Receivable?

Two completely different processes and programs.  I prefer to keep things simple and easy to use.  Since Accounting and Receivables require completely different records and data entry, combining both functions into one increases complecity/errors/cost.  Some only need one or the other.  For those using both, they can share data where appropriate.

• Confused 1