ATX Community

Late Filing Penalty

Christian

I cannot remember the time a client received a penalty for filing his return after April 15th. This year one did and also had to pay tax with his return. He got penalized not for any underpayment but for filing his return late and it is quite a lot of money. He has never had any tax problems until now and I am far from being knowledgeable on penalty waivers. Is there any available reason he can get this abated ? He had no health issues and was not out of country.

The first time abatement occurred to me as well. I guess it would do no harm to send in the Form 2210 with the understanding it may not work. In a word he got wrapped up (when have I not heard that remark ?) and after three and one half months simply could not get his act together. He usually gets refunded but this year his luck ran out.

• Like 1

Thanks to all of you who replied. I too bookmarked cb's site. I have prepared the client a Form 843 and will give it to him tomorrow with the advice he mail immediately by certified mail with the return receipt. He has a clean record with no penalties of any kind for over three years. Hopefully this will address this problem.

• Like 2